Tomtom Go 530 not working

Hi first post here so bear with me:)
I have a tomtom Go 530 fully charged and when I switch it on I get a progression bar and then to the screenshot but that;s in no menu or anything. It get worse when I connect it to the pc it recognised it but won't let me do anything like format or copy or anything.

The files must be corrupted what can I do ?

What do you mean when you say you can't copy or anything? Do you not see the contents of the unit when you use Explorer?

Yes I see the contents but it's really slow and if i try to copy from it ...it tries but then it fails and the device becomes not responsive. And after that I can't click back into the drive in windows 7. What could be the problem? any way to fix it myself..

Can you try in a different usb port? With a different cable (were you using the one provided with your unit??) Do you have issues when you copy to/from a usb flash drive?

I've tried all the usb ports on this computer and another one too. I have no problems with usb drives on this pc,. and i'm using the cable provided by tomtom.

Well, if you can manage to get Explorer to copy the contents of the unit to a folder backup on the computer, format the unit (not quickformat) then restore, that may help.

You can also try to right click the drive when connected to the computer, properties, check for errors.

I've tried to format but it fails every time is there anything else I can do ? would a tomtom customer service center be able to fix this ? or is my tomtom a brick

Sounds like the internal flash memory wore out.

You can get an SD card, put it in the Tomtom, and restore from a backup onto the SD.

I tried the chkdsk /f on the drive and that didn't work either :(

How do I restore from a backup onto the SD ? I haven't got a backup of my device is there a default sd card that I can download?

The one folder you absolutely want to have is the map folder. To replace the map costs $$$$. Everything else can be retrieved from TomTom for free.

If you don't have a backup of your unit (hard lesson to learn...) and if the map that you can't get to anymore was not an updated map, then you may be stuck having to purchase a new map.

You can get a sdhc card for your unit, install the application on it (you can download it from TomTom) and purchase the map of your choice and install it on the sdhc card as well. Then download appropriate voices that you desire.

I'd get a 4-gig sdhc card at least, the faster the class the better (Class 6, maybe).

You can call support and maybe, just maybe, they'll provide an older map to your account, just to get you started.

UK support:

I think I got the map folder without any errors :) you said "insteall the application on it " does that mean just put the .exe file (ie TOMTOM Home) onto the sd card or do you install it to there. THanks for your help btw

No. Install the card in the unit. Connect the unit to Home. Home will ask what you want to use, internal or external. Select external (the card).

Home should offer an application. Download and it should install on the card. That's what you want.

The way TT works, if it detects the application on a card, it boots from there and that's what you want. You'd then download a purchased map and also install on the card.

Thanks that worked great have a tomtom back :) does this mean I have to keep the sd card in all the time ? is the internal memory just gone now ?

Yep. Just keep the sdhc card in at all times. The unit will function fine that way.

Ask a Question