TomTom GO 500 My Routes Simple Backup

@Ciro

I already shared the macro on TT official forum... and yes this is just a workaround for a basic function that should have been provided from the beginning by MyDrive Cloud !

@GEB & @canderson

Hi guys, thanks again for your work, I think too that this basic feature HAD to be provided by TT...

It's unbeliveable how they cut POIs managing features in their last units!
Me and other users are trying to higline the problem to the support team and to get some answers, but nothing happens... Since YEARS I'd say...
Above all I need to EXPORT, CATEGORIZE POIs and also SEE THEIR OWN ICON ON THE MAP; we all ask about that, but NO ANSWERS...
The official forum mods seem only concerdend to ERASE POSTS they don't like, or they don't want to be there...

I think that there are many reasons for that behaviour by TT: the most important in my opinion is that if they avoid EXPORTING personal recorded POIs from MyDrive, becomes more and more difficoult CHANGE brand. By facts, OUR POIs become TT's HOSTAGE...

If what I think is near to truth, canderson may be right when he says that TT could change the format when they realized that someone achieved the goal...

Probably not so much a conspiracy as a lack of effort in this area, Ciro. Yes, it is true (and very annoying) that it has been impossible to even modify (add, edit, delete) the content of a custom POI on recent generations of TomTom. I do not understand why TomTom believes that this isn't important. Many users create or add to their custom lists while in the vehicle and at the site where the new entry should occur. I suspect that TomTom believes that not enough customers used that feature on older models. It would not be so hard to add that feature. The proximity alert might be a lot more code, but again, I do not think that TomTom realizes how important proximity alert for custom POI can help some users.

The overall problem, as I see it, is that TomTom did not realize that it wasn't any one particular feature that caused the upward trend in their sales in the old days, it was the fact that whatever feature you might need, it was more likely to be on a TomTom device than one of the others ... because the TomTom had so MANY of them. By having a more fully featured device, TomTom could pick up all of the many 'edge cases' that their competition had ignored. In many ways, they have 'dumbed down' the feature set now to where my regular use model could almost be just about as well served by a Garmin.

No canderson, no conspiracy, but marketing in my opinion...
I think that is a precise TT choice to downgrade POIs features that much.
I can't believe they are not aware of the importance of POIs, expecially for professionals.
They are TomTom, a market leader and they provided those features since the first models... Without them who needs a stand alone GPS unit?!?
A free smartphone app is more than enough to go from A to B, don't you think?
I can't believe that developers don't understand the importance of categorize POIs you record: when you have hundreds, surfing through ALL of them becomes impossible.
And we can go on and on...

That's why in my opinion they MADE A MARKETING CHOICE not allowing to export recorded POIs.
But obviously, I'd be GLAD if TT shows by facts I'm totally wrong.

A free smartphone app is more than enough to go from A to B, don't you think?
Not at my age, no. I can't read 2 point type from 24 inches.

No kidding, either. I can't deal with the TomTom Android app for exactly that reason.

One of the 'locals' seems to have been displeased with my list. Nuts to 'em!

That 'local' is Dennis N, moderator at PocketGPSWorld.

Just as Ciro here goes by the name 'stuff' there I believe and, among other things, takes shots at me.........

I'll stick with "Nuts to 'em".
Too many users came on board during Nav3, and wouldn't have a clue what they were voting for.

Hi,

new Fav2csv macro for Notepad++; fixes bug when coordinates of Places/Favorites contained in xxxMyDrive.txt are exactly 6 chars long. Corresponding Places/Favorites were ignored.

Attachments

• shortcuts02.zip
    966 bytes · Views: 304
Hi,

I just discovered that decimal coordinates stored in ***MyDrive.txt could be less than 6 chars long (thanks to my visit to the "Châteaux de la Loire" ;))
eg : 56789 represents 0.056789 or -6789 represents -0.006789.
Favcsv ed3 macro for Notepad++ has been modified accordingly.

Attachments

• shortcuts03.zip
    1,002 bytes · Views: 476
Last edited:
Yes ... the problem was to write the right regular expression ;)

Hi,

TomTom has modified the internal format of xxxMyDrive.txt file which contains in particular Places/Favourites.
So I wrote a new Notepad++ macro named Fav2csvNF decoding the New Format; it's part of attached shortcuts04.zip file.

GEB

Attachments

• shortcuts04.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 466
I am not into that so let's hope others will appreciate it.

NF!
First time I visited France I bought a package of Gauloise for a 1 Franc coin and they gave me 630 Francs in change back!

Ask a Question