TomTom for Android Phone.

TomTom Model(s)
Go720traffic, Go710 via120 Galaxy Tab Samsung s3 Smartphone
This is my first post so please tell me if I am in the wrong place.
I have a Samsung S3 smartphone and would like advice on which is the best option?
I also have a 710 and a 720.Would it be better to update the maps on the the 710 or 720 in preference to buying the app. for the S3?
There will no doubt be different opinions on this but I notice some people list the smartphone as their TomTom model.
Thanks for any replies,
Ken.:confused:

Personal opinions vary WILDLY on this topic. I, for one, believe the use of space on the face of an S3 (code for that resolution should show up soon) to be poor. The icons and typeface aren't anywhere near as large as you get on your 710 and 720. The available screen size is almost identical to your 720, but you'll see what I mean about the size. So only if you're young and not wearing reading glasses, you might be happy with the S3 solution.:lol: The current Android software from TomTom even works fairly well, though you will prefer the upcoming higher res model solution when it's available.

What's not clear to us are the features on the 720 that you feel you need in a GPS. If you have grown accustomed to being able to use many of the 720 features (e.g., itinerary planning, and a whole host of others), be advised that the Android application is pretty bare so far. Can you tell us more about the features on your older units that are important to you?

Thanks for Quick reply. The two TomTom units I have are more than adequate for my personal requirements with a preference for the 720 traffic,, only because its helpful to know the name of the road your turning intoI probably don't use half of the facilities anyway its just the price of updating maps that I find not very pleasant. I was curious to know if the smartphone was a serious contender to the not so modern counterpart,I guess TomTom have been in the satnav field longer and should know by now how to do it.
Regards, Ken.:thumb:

There's no pretty answer to the map question on your side of the pond, Ken. However, there were recently some new and fairly priced models introduced for Europe (or just UK? I can't recall) that offered the lifetime map as part of the price. You would get quarterly updates for that one without having to buy new maps or purchase an update subscription. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/via-series/index.jsp

I'm one who prefers a smartphone. Mostly it is a matter of convenience, a Galaxy S3 is much lighter than a 720, has a bigger screen, and is already in my pocket.

If your priority is traffic, then there is no question: get the Android app. The Android app has Tomtom's HD traffic system, which is far more accurate than anything you would have seen on the 720. The only tradeoff is that: due to the sheer volume of data, Tomtom had to limit the traffic reports to a radius of about 75 miles. Depending on your driving needs, that range may cause problems.

One caveat: the Android won't be compatible with high-resolution devices like the Galaxy S3 until the next update, which is due before the end of the year. Currently, some (like myself) have forced the app onto Galaxy S3 models, but all the font sizes and alignments are screwed up. I disagree with canderson: on supported-resolution device the fonts in the Android app are the same size as a GO720, so I see no reason why they shouldn't remain the same size when high-res support is released.

The biggest con to the Android app (in my opinion) are the limitations on the Android app's feature-set (hopefully future versions add more features). The Tomtom website has an instruction manual for the Android app, you can see what features it has, and assume anything not mentioned is not yet available.

I disagree with canderson: on supported-resolution device the fonts in the Android app are the same size as a GO720, so I see no reason why they shouldn't remain the same size when high-res support is released.
I do not have a GO720, so I cannot make a comparison to it. However, when comparing my GO LIVE 1535 with the Android app on my HTC Droid Incredible 2 - which DOES have a supported screen resolution - I see that some of the fonts on the Android are the same size and some are smaller. I also agree with canderson that the use of screen space on the Android is very poor. It is easy to see how minor revision of the screen design could allow much larger fonts for information without using any more space on the screen.

I also feel that TomTom has done a poor job so far of taking advantage of the capabilities already existing on the Android platforms on which it will be installed. In addition, I sometimes get the feeling that none of the people responsible for the Android app have worked on any of the other TomTom products, and that they have not even bothered to look at those products. That may be unfair, but it is hard to avoid being judgmental when I see things on the Android app that are done much better on my XXL540.

Having commented about the deficiencies of the TomTom Android app, I will also mention that this is version 1.0. I would expect TomTom to fix issues in the future like I have described. The only question in my mind is how to quantify "the future". How long will it take for public feedback to overcome the egos of the product manager and UI design staff? I will also remind you that - as I mentioned above - I have it installed on my own Android phone.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Thanks to all contributors, it seems as if its a matter of personal preference and exactly which facilities you use on your SatNav, Its just a matter of trying them all until a manufacturer comes up with the perfect device (most unlikely)
Regards,
Ken.:rolleyes:

I'm one who prefers a smartphone. Mostly it is a matter of convenience, a Galaxy S3 is much lighter than a 720, has a bigger screen, and is already in my pocket.
What's the advantage of a 'bigger screen' when they layout is poor and attempts to squish the same amount of usable information into a much smaller space than is necessary? The S3 has a much higher resolution screen than the 720, but measure both and you'll find that the size is actually quite comparable. I just wish they had used the real estate as effectively (at least in landscape mode) as the 720 or any of their other standalone units.

Ask a Question