TomTom display: The truth please

TomTom Model(s)
Still looking
Hi everyone, new to this forum and have enjoyed reading a lot of threads so far, very informative. My question is: Best Buy and Future Shop have the GO730 on sale at the moment, I haven't owned a GPS unit before, so I'm thinking of buying this one. My problem is just about every review or comparison claims that it is very hard to read the display in any kind of sunlight and that kind puts me off, I would like to hear from anyone who owns this or similar unit if this is a big problem. Thank you

I have a 720 (same hardware as the 730) and the screen is lousy in bright sunlight.

Suggestions include:
1. Turn brightness to 100%
2. Use a colour scheme that has darker colours (some use a night scheme in daylight).
3. Go here: Clarivue Screen Protectors - Blackberry, iPhone 4, HTC EVO 4G protection and order an anti-glare screen for the 720. I bought one for a different model and it does help somewhat.

I avoided a boatload of the sun issues by mounting my unit lower. The position you see does not negatively impact reception in any way I can tell -- always good solid bars.

Attachments

• tomtom.jpg
    tomtom.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 400
Hi everyone, new to this forum and have enjoyed reading a lot of threads so far, very informative. My question is: Best Buy and Future Shop have the GO730 on sale at the moment, I haven't owned a GPS unit before, so I'm thinking of buying this one. My problem is just about every review or comparison claims that it is very hard to read the display in any kind of sunlight and that kind puts me off, I would like to hear from anyone who owns this or similar unit if this is a big problem. Thank you

Just finished a two week trip with my new TT 740 (first ever gps) and mounted using an optional adapter in my 2006 Toyota Highlander. Had same fears, especially when I found the aftermarket mount placed the unit on about the same level as the center A/C vents, right up near the level of my auto guages.

Saw some light flare at first, but swiveled the unit down slightly and all was fine. After a couple of days, didn't even notice. To me adjustment period was far less traumatic than having to look at a kludged-on sun shade for ever and ever.

Chuck

Where mine is placed now, I actually have more problems with reflection of a white shirt than I do direct sun.

Some of the screen protectors help a lot with glare as well. I'm using one of those, too.

Ask a Question