Tomtom car kit for Iphone - accessory not made for Iphone error

Hi

I have had the tomtom car kit for over 6 months now, and have had no problems with it until 3 days ago.

I have not changed anything on my Iphone 3GS for months, still running 3.1.2 and 3 days ago when I put the phone in the dock it does not pair but infact says that this 'accessory is not made for the IPhone' and do you want to put it into airplane mode, etc

I have reset my iphone, turned the car kit off and on, removed the bluetooth device from iphone and tried to reset the the bluetooth on the car kit by holding down the volume button for 8 seconds.

I can not find the car kit anymore as an available device to add to my Bluetooth devices, and I get the error even with another 3gs phone.

It still charges my phone but now really that is all it is, just a charger as none of the other features work!

Can anyone help?

Cheers

It could be that the new 1.5 version of the TT app has been updated on your phone. This needs the 3GS to be running version 4 software.

Go back to iTunes and download v4, plug in your iPhone and download it to the device.

Then give it another try.

Sounds like maybe no power. Plug the car kit in before the iPhone. Confirm it is getting power. Then insert the iPhone. No case no cover. Then try to pair it.

Thanks again, but It is getting power as it is charging the iphone when it is docked. I forgot to say I have no cover or case on the iphone. really stumped....?

Not Made for iPhone

This error as far as I can tell is something to do with the resistance across two pins on the iPhone dock connector; its how Apple appear to identify connected devices...

I have the same issue with my iPhone 4 and the TomTom car kit with the TomTom supplied adapter. The solution i've found (as before the adapter arrived I had a bit of paper taped to the car kit) was to slide a post it note behind the phone when docking it.

I know you've got a 3GS, so it may either be the phone or car kit dock....

Me too!

Hey,

I have exactly the same issue... I have an iPhone 4, and up to about 5 days ago worked fine with my car kit ( with a small pad stuck behind as you have to with a 4!). However now I get the same error, appliance not compatible with this device - and the speaker for handsfree etc doesn't work, but it still charges!

Have emailed tomtom - but if anyone reading has a fix, would be grateful!:confused:

Same problem here

Macak I have exactly the same problem but my husband doesn't so we know it isn't the car kit. I am running os 4.1 and he us running 4.0. So again we presume it is a software problem!

Driving me nuts!

Thanks for the replies, I think I have narrowed it down to the Car kit, as I have now tried multiple phones, with multiple IOS, and all get the same error and cannot find the device to connect via blue tooth. I have booked a reservation with the mac store next week to see if they can help, I will keep you posted

Thanks for the replies, I think I have narrowed it down to the Car kit, as I have now tried multiple phones, with multiple IOS, and all get the same error and cannot find the device to connect via blue tooth. I have booked a reservation with the mac store next week to see if they can help, I will keep you posted
Hey, Any luck with your car kit trouble ?

Fixed

Hey all.

Sorry I havent got back sooner, I rang Tomtom and told them that I have tested and can see that it is the cradle at fault as my phone works in a friends cradle no problems. I had 5 months left on warranty, they just said send it in and they will repair, I did and they sent me back a new one 2 days later. They were very quick!!

Cheers for all your help

Ask a Question