Tomtom 920 vs Garmin 760

I am consider to buy a GPS, after reading the review for both unit I am confused which unit should I buy, Please help me make a decision, I am currently owned Tomtom 700, I liked it very much

This is a TomTom forum, what would you expect the answer to be ?
I don't like anything that costs more than the competitors which doesn't offer more.

920T over the 760

I looked at the 760. It doesn't have the feature set that the 920 has. I bought a 920 yesterday and I will tell you I'm very pleased with my purchase so far. Save a little money and get the 920T. You won't be disappointed.
JR

The only advantages the Nuvi has:

- The Nuvi has a microphone input.
- The way the high end Nuvis mount is very nice. All cables connect to the car mount and the Nuvi docks into the mount so when you take the Nuvi with you, you don't have to unplug all the cables.
- The Nuvi has that handy "Where's my car feature".
- The Nuvi is compatible with SDHC cards.

Last edited:
The only advantages the Nuvi has:

- The Nuvi has a microphone input.
- The way the high end Nuvis mount is very nice. All cables connect to the car mount and the Nuvi docks into the mount so when you take the Nuvi with you, you don't have to unplug all the cables.
- The Nuvi has that handy "Where's my car feature".
- The Nuvi is compatible with SDHC cards.

But the NUVI detour functionality is mediocre at best, the new virtual keyboard is now more cumbersome than ever (much worse than previous versions), the new embedded antenna is less sentisive than the previous fold-out type ... and for me, the most annoying and idiotic feature of all NUVIs is simulation mode, which only works at 1x - compared to TomTom, you can crank the demo up to 400%. Don't take me wrong, the NUVIs are good, but contrary to what most reviewers say, I find the TomTom easier to use. At least, the detour function works the way it should. Plus, the TTS voices on the TomTom are far superior than any NUVI. That's my two cents.

Cheers!

I would argue an advantage for the TomTom is that it uses Tele Atlas maps. In my experiences, I've found them to be more accurate. At least in my area.

But the NUVI detour functionality is mediocre at best, the new virtual keyboard is now more cumbersome than ever (much worse than previous versions), the new embedded antenna is less sentisive than the previous fold-out type ... and for me, the most annoying and idiotic feature of all NUVIs is simulation mode, which only works at 1x - compared to TomTom, you can crank the demo up to 400%. Don't take me wrong, the NUVIs are good, but contrary to what most reviewers say, I find the TomTom easier to use. At least, the detour function works the way it should. Plus, the TTS voices on the TomTom are far superior than any NUVI. That's my two cents.

Cheers!

Please keep in mind that I wasn't saying that the Nuvi is better. I was simply listing things the Nuvi has / does that the TomTom doesn't have / do. I'm sure there's a comparable list for the TomTom.

I would argue an advantage for the TomTom is that it uses Tele Atlas maps. In my experiences, I've found them to be more accurate. At least in my area.

That's the case for everyone. For some, TeleAtlas Maps work better for their area and for others Navteq maps work better. I played with the 720 and my home address isn't even on Teleatlas's map.

Really though, who uses these GPS devices to navigate around their home area where they probably already know how to get around.

Last edited:
Garmin doesn't have Mapshare, EPT.
Garmin users say TeleAtlas is no good, while Garmin wants to buy it ! What irony !:D

Tomtom also is SDHC compatatible. As I have a 4gb SDHC in my tele atlas 720

I emailed TomTom a few days ago asking about the 920T and SDHC compatibility. This is the reply I got today:

Dear IsLNdbOi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support with your inquiry regarding the GO 920T. It is our goal to provie you with an exceptional customer experience.

All of our TomTom devices are designed to work only with standard SD memory cards. SDHC cards are not compatible. We apologize for any frustration this may cause.

------------------------------

So why can Garmin release an update for their Nuvi 3xx and other units that make them compatible with SDHC cards and TomTom can't even release new units that are compatible with SDHC cards?

@IsLNdbOi : "Please keep in mind that I wasn't saying that the Nuvi is better."

I understand. I just wanted to present a balance view - I think that your comments and mine do provide an adequate answer to the original question, from an end-user perspective.

I got to play with the 920T and Nuvi 760 yesterday and today at Circuit City. I'm pretty disappointed that TomTom still hasn't worked out how to get CDMA (Sprint & Verizon) phones to work with their Plus services. They're trying to sell their Plus service in the US where a majority of cell phone users are on CDMA networks.

I tried for at least an hour to get my Sprint Treo 755P to work with Plus. I got it working pretty well with the bluetooth hands-free part.

then buy a Garmin, lol lol lol.

By the way Who said that the Tom Tom is way cheaper than the Garmins? Here in Canada the 760 costs around 712 CAD and the 920, 600 CAD , BUT IT DOES NOT COME WITH THE TMC TRAFFIC RECEIVER , therefore it will cost you 740 CAD for the 920 to get the same functionalities. Well... the 760 does not have the Europe map , but for a 1 week vacation there who needs to pay the extra?. I own a Garmin Street Pilot c550 and a Tomtom 720 , the more a use them side by side the more I like the Garmin better. For me a GPS has to have very accurate and updated MAPS and POI's , at least here in Canada , even the only 2 weeks old TomTom Tele Atlas 7.10 maps are worst than my almost 2 years old Garmin's Navteq 2005 maps.

At this point, I'm definitely looking at picking up a Nuvi 770. I really like the Nuvi 7xx series' sleek design. It's also great that Garmin actively updates their products. Just this past week they've already released an update to add some requests people have asked for.

I find the Navteq more accurate ??? :eek:

I currently enjoy prompts like " in 200 metres, arrive at destination on right, arrving at destination on right."

After testing another Tom Tom One, it came second once again. :eek: My Garmin street pilot 2610 using NavTeq took me right to the person's door in a rural area but the Tom Tom One could not even find the person's house.. I'm really starting to think about a nuvi 760 after months of deliberating about a Tom Tom 920 and I'm weeks away from my 920 decision. :eek:

Last edited:

Ask a Question