Tomtom 730t cocked up.

Iv bought a 730 and thought it was a good idea to put a tracking program on it. But i didnt do my reserch properly and iv cocked it up. These programs dont work on the new 730 and now my 730 takes ages to start up.

Question is does anyone know how to return it to the original condition. Iv done a reinstall of the main program but the other softwere remains on the drive. Even if someone have the original file tree so i could delete the files that are not needed manually.

Thanks for any help
Mike.

what tracking program did you install?

the iprogram's nstall 'readme' file should contain information on which
files are placed in your tomtom.

Did you happen to make a full backup using Explorer, not Home, prior to modifying the unit? If so, first copy your map folder from the unit to the pc, then format the internal memory of the unit and then copy back the entire contents from the backup.

I used the backup system expecting that to be a viable system. But when I tried to restore it said one of the file folders was not present and would not let me reinstall.

You could try to restore the backup using Explorer and see how it goes rather than trying to use the Restore function in Home.

Question is does anyone know how to return it to the original condition. Iv done a reinstall of the main program but the other softwere remains on the drive. Even if someone have the original file tree so i could delete the files that are not needed manually.
Not having a 730T I cannot show a copy of the tree.

I would suggest one thing, in case your tracking programme over wrote items in your NavCore. Open HOME, click Add Maps, Traffic, Voices, etc., go to the fourth screen, Items on my computer, click Applications, click Add and let HOME install your 8.010 again by clicking ADD at the bottom right hand .

Even though the other software is still there, this may right the wrong.
Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I reloaded it useing explorer. But now it does not work at all !

It goes to the start up screen then the main display screen with no roads showing then restarts. It does this in a loop. Bugger.

Go to home and see if your application shows up under "Remove from Device" . IF SO, remove it.

Then go to Update your device. It will first update/add application 7.48, and after it is installed and (if) working, connect to Home and update again - that will get you 8.01 again.

If the above doesn't work, worst case - you could reformat the device like dhn suggested (assuming you have a backup including your map). I have done a clean install where I reformatted, then connected to Home and got the application installed from scratch through Home's update before I reloaded the Map or anything else. It should boot up OK, but it will not have a map on it yet.

You would then copy the map folder back into the root directory and see how it runs. Then you could selectively copy back other folders (like schemes, voices, contacts, etc.) after you have it working OK. If you had set up connections with any bluetooth devices, you will have to set them up again also.

Got it sorted. I rang the help line for TOMTOM.
They sent me an email with instructions for fixing the problem.
It involved clearing and formating the tomtom then copying the files using explorer.

But thanks for all the comments.

I do believe that's what I suggested in posts 4 and 6 of this thread .... or did TT's instructions involve more than that?

The final solution.

Ive copied across the full instructions. It seems that the restarts and the update bits are important. So yes there was a little bit more than was indicated in post 4.

Dear Mr christie,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
Your reference for your query is 081014-001875.

On your device you may have a corrupt file that is causing the issues that you are experiencing. The solution to this is to completely remove the software from your device and reinstall it again as described in the steps below. Please ensure that you have the latest TomTom Home software installed on your computer:-

You can download and install the latest version of TomTom HOME from the following link:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2latest/TomTomHOME2maclatest.dmg

Once you have the latest version of TomTom Home installed, please follow these steps:-

STEP 1. Creating a Manual backup of your TomTom

? Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
? Perform a reset on your device (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 )

If you have not made a backup yet you can do so by making a manual backup of your TomTom. To do this, please look at the following web page:-

http://www.tomtom.com/3171#backup

? Connect your TomTom to the computer
? Open My Computer, you should see the TomTom as a removable drive, double click into it. (on a mac you will see the TomTom as a disk drive on your desktop)
? You will see a list of files and folders.
? Copy all of the folders on the TomTom, one by one to the backup folder.
? This can take up to 1 hour to complete depending on the device.
? If you get any error messages while copying, move on to the next folder and copy that to the backup folder.
? If possible, please make a note of any error message that occur while copying the folders, and make a note of which folder causes the error message.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device as described in step 1. If you are unable to complete step 1, please reply back with a list of yellow folders that you have managed to successfully copy to your PC and also reply back with any error messages that you receive at this point.

STEP 2. Format the hard-disk,

? Open 'My Computer'
? Right click on the TomTom icon (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.
? Do a full format by selecting FAT 32 and click on Start, do not select 'quick format'. The TomTom is now formatted.
? Disconnect the TomTom from the computer and switch it on. It will load up with a red cross on the screen.
? Reset the TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 30 seconds, see http://www.tomtom.com/6965 in how to do this.
? Once Reset, switch the TomTom off, disconnect it from the computer and then switch it back on again, it will still show a red cross on the screen.

STEP 3. Restore the Folders to the TomTom

? Connect your TomTom back to the computer and make sure it is switched on
? Go to your backup folder on your desktop, double left click into it. You will see all of your backup folders.
? Copy the folders one by one to the TomTom by right clicking on the folder, select copy then open My Computer, double left click onto the TomTom drive and choose paste.
? Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
? Switch the TomTom back on.

STEP 4. Update your device

? Open TomTom Home
? Connect your device to the PC
? A list of updates should appear, if not, click on Update my Go
? Select only the program application update.
? Click on Update and Install.
? Once Installed, open TomTom Home
? Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
? Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
? Switch your TomTom On to complete the installation.

The Application is now installed, and your TomTom should now be working.

STEP 5. Run the Clear Flash Tool

? Connect your TomTom to the computer
? Close TomTom Home. (on a PC, make sure you close TomTom Home from the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen by the computer clock)
? Download and run the clear flash tool from : http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe Make sure your TomTom is connected to the computer and switched on when you do this.

? Once Installed, open TomTom Home
? Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
? Switch your TomTom On to complete the installation.

The Application is now installed, and your TomTom should now be working.

* IMPORTANT *
If you have any issues with copying the contents of the TomTom to your PC and back again, please let us know and state what error messages, if any, that there are.
Please reply back with the details of what happens.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I'm glad you are up and running........now make sure you have a complete backup using Explorer, not Home and ensure hidden files and folders are showing.

Hi, does anyone know where the surface mount fuse is on tom-tom go530 mother board, the reason I think the fuse might be blown is, when I go on to my dos screen on the line 12 where it say's start up mode next to it it say's power down, due to it not booting up and freezing on tom-tom logo after drumming noise, having tried everything and more with no joy the only thing left now is to investigate the components on the mother board, starting from the fuse, any advise would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Um... get a meter. Check the fuse. However, if you're getting all the way to a visible screen of any sort on the face of the unit, and the drum sounds at power up, you won't find a dead fuse on the MB.

"Power down" on that screen just means the something about last state it was in when you switched it on.

IIRC, it just means it woke from a re-boot, and when you switch on from a normal "power down" it says "sleep" ('cos that's all it is doing when you switch it off).

Ask a Question