TomTom 50M - Model info please?

TomTom Model(s)
Start 50M
I recently bought a start 50M at bestbuy. I have searched and searched but can't really find out any info,it's not even listed on tomTom's site. Is this an older model? What version of Nav does it have? Can I change the menu options to get the compass? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Bought in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually both are relatively new models but they use Home 2 and not MyTomTom. So the user does have access to the file system. The 50 has EasyMenu which means reduced functionality. Not sure about the 55.

No, you can't get the compass back with a modification.

Thanks for the reply. This is my 1st gps and although I am happy with it and excuse my ignorance but is there anyway to get more from this gps with that menu modification I have been reading about?

Thanks again,I tried that already and to no avail. I guess if I want more features I'll have to save and buy a more expensive unit.

I held the power button down on my device till I got to this screen

TomTom ONE (tm) TomTom 2003-2010 Build -N/A-
Hardware type: TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition
SubID (feature) 0 1: 0001 (0000000D00000000)
Bootloader version: S5.5282 clist#842429 RVCT

I'll be skipping some things that are self explanatory

Device ID GU2053D00967

Can anyone give me any idea what all that means? Thanks.

I did buy the Start 50M,it is just kind of surprising to me that this info other than the device ID says tomtom one and xxl IQ routes edition. Unless they base all of their devices off the one and xxl.

The Start 50 is indeed a rebranded older model. At a time when TomTom was producing nothing but what we refer to as Nav 3 devices (requiring MyTomTom and NOT Home 2), it was somewhat of a surprise that models such as the Start 50 appeared and still relied upon Home 2.

Think it was done so that TomTom could align its products as either Go, Via or Start models. But it just added to confusion in the long run.

They haven't used dedicated reset buttons in the bottom for quite some time. Ever since the x40 series, it's the holding of the power button for 10~15 sec that serves as the system reset.

Rule #1.... Never trust the TomTom website to tell you the truth. :rolleyes:

What is in the GPS device that makes the compass work? Is there an actual compass in there or is it software and satellites working together? The reason I am asking is because I put the old easymenu on my start 50m and I gained a few things and lost a few and the compass was one of the things I gained.

There's no magnetic compass in use. It senses your general direction as of your last movement.

If you go MORE than a week without QuickGPSFix data, let us know. It doesn't always appear on each connect, but if it stops appearing for some length of time, we'll need for you to delete a few files to get the constipation cleared up.

Ask a Question