Tom Tom Warranty

Having owned 2 tomtoms I thought it wise to let members know just how poorly I have been treated by TomTom. My first Tomtom lasted 2.5 years and then the hard drive broke. My second (and last) Tomtom 720 managed a lifespan of only 1.5 yrs before deteriorating rapidly to the point of oblivion in August whilst driving around France. I approached Pentagon GPS who immediately sent me on to Tomtom. I phoned Tomtom and after a brief chat they said that my hard drive was broken!! I expressed my annoyance with their products and said it was not fit for the purpose and cited the relevant law in which the consumer is entitled to pursue a claim for up to 6 yrs after the purchase date. Tomtom told me to take it up with Pentagon GPS. Clearly this was just a cat and mouse game and although they said they would look in to the matter I have never heard from them again. I phoned several times but was 'fobbed off''. My recommendation to any potential buyer is to look elsewhere for a GPS. To have 2 tomtoms crash in four years is not bad luck. To have an established manufacturer ignore the problem is disgraceful and is also a clear statement that their products have a very short shelf life. They obviously assume that we live in a throw-away society so do not build a product that can survive much longer than their 1 yr warranty. As for their downloads, well that's a joke as I never noticed a single update of new roundabouts, traffic signals etc. I think Garmin will be next choice unless any members have an alternative they would happily recommend.

sorry to hear your story

i bought an 3 years extended warranty
within the first year no limit over the counter replacement
if found broken, malfunction and failed
and the next 2 year over the counter replacement once a year only
a few extra dollars of insurance here
it is nice to know the policy before hand in the extended warranty
some electronic gadgets are prone to fail at anytime

Yes, Tomtom's seem to be write-happy, and wear out hard drives and flash drives in 2-3 years (depending on use).

So you do have to consider them as disposable in that regard.

The GO models have SD card slots, and if you copy all files to the SD and run 100% from the SD, then when the card wears out in a couple of years you can spend another $10 and pop in a new card.

Regarding the updates, I've seen little evidence that any of my mapshare updates are being listened to in the new maps, but they do have substantial improvements to lane guidance and IQroutes in the new maps, so I've been reasonably happy with them.

There are supposed to be 1.25 million community-sourced edits globally in the next (840?) map coming out in a few days, so I'm hoping that my mapshare edits are finally listened to.

Ask a Question