this map doesn't work with this device

I have a XXL IQ Routes.
I did an update of device software at Tomtom Home and after the installation of the update my maps won't work.
I have pressed the ON/OFF button for 15 secs to do a reset but it doen't fix the problem...does anyone know how to fix this.

Are you are actually getting the text of your title as an on-screen message, or is the map just not working, without any messages?

There is often a simple fix for this sort of problem... the TomTom "Clearflash" utility.
Download it from here: Clear Flash tool.
Don't expect to see anything exciting happening when you run it, you don't really get any feedback that it has done it's job. (Also, some people advise you run it three times... no harm in doing that, but I have my doubts if it's necessary!)

If that doesn't work, it's possible that Home has somehow assigned the wrong map version to your account, in which case you'd need to give customer service a call.

When I turn on the device I get a list of maps, Australia, New Zealand and Europe.
It asks me to select a map and when I tap the Australia maps for instance it says...you cannot use this map with this device australia-254

Yes I tried that and still no luck....I am wondering if I ubinstall the application from my device and then when I turn it on again will it look for updates again?

Worth a shot.

Also, if you go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

and rename the folder I highlighted to DownloadsOLD, that should force a new download of the map and perhaps a proper install this time.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that Home has somehow assigned the wrong map version to your account, in which case you'd need to give customer service a call.

Sorry... ignore that bit. I was thinking you had updated the maps as well. But these were your EXISTING maps and just new software, yes?

I'm guessing you don't have a backup you can revert to, (so if we DO get it sorted, please do one straight away, as you now know how useful they can be).

If reinstalling the latest software doesn't help, we may be able to find a manual download of your old software if you can remember what version it was.

That didn't work....I also can't remember what version I had before the update...but surely any older version would be ok.

I have emailled Tomtom and was asked where I bought the device from...so I am thinking that they are going to come back and say there is nothing they can do as it's not in warranty....
If that happens I will be giving them what for as on their site they recommend everyone to keep their devices up to date.

I have emailled Tomtom and was asked where I bought the device from...
It's likely the fact that these two things in conjunction are not so common:

"I have a XXL IQ Routes."
and
"I get a list of maps, Australia, New Zealand and Europe".

One doesn't often see that combination together.

Further to that - it's possible that someone might purchase a TomTom from a 3rd party that contains 'cracked' firmware that allows unpurchased maps to be used. The first time you update such a unit to 'standard' software using Home, the hacks are gone, and suddenly the maps no longer work.

I think you can see where they're headed with their question now.

Unless you are the original owner and they see that you have purchased both sets of maps...

Last edited:
I guess so....but I'm pretty sure that I have updated the maps since buying from the 3rd party...so you would think that this would have happened the first time the maps updated.

I guess so....but I'm pretty sure that I have updated the maps since buying from the 3rd party...so you would think that this would have happened the first time the maps updated.
You may well have skated with just a map update before (do I want to know where the map came from?) - but remember, you said in your first post that it was the device firmware you updated this time >>> "I did an update of device software at Tomtom Home..."

You may find that there's now no way of using that device without buying a map for it - although nominally, that would have been the only way you could have received a map "update" from TomTom before.

You'd better take us through your initial purchase and any transactions with TomTom step by step so we can sort out what may have actually happened, but it's entirely possible that you will need to talk about this with the seller. You might want to leave out the URLs of any "3rd party" sites where you may have found maps, however. See here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/announcements.html

Last edited:
I bought the device from someone on ebay.....and apparently the XXL IQ Routes - Europe...comes with Australia, new zealand and Western Europe installed(I'm in Aostralia)..the device was working fine..this was about 6 months ago...I connected to Tomtom Homeand as you know when you connect it looks at what you have and gives updates.for the device and also for maps if you have mapshare...which the person I gought it from must have had as I was able to get map updates as well as device updates.
About a month ago I got a message saying that my mapshare had expired....then the other week I connected again and it said there was a device update and a QuickGPSFix update ready for download...so I did them and after that was when I got the error message that the maps won;t work with this device.

Afraid not.........

The model you describe:
XXL IQ Routes™ Europe - Car navigation - TomTom

comes with just Western_Europe.

I don't think a model by that name was ever offered (legitimately) in Australia. The fact that maps of both OZ and NZ are on it tells me the software and those maps have been hacked to get them there.

There are other posts here by Australians in the same situation; namely, getting a unit on ebay, using it with the included hacked software to make the map work and then updating the application, which causes the app not to recognize the map on the unit.

I hope we're wrong in inferring that but experience tells us otherwise.

Again, I'm not 100% sure they are fake, but the symptoms are there.

Do this:

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents. Then, delete the NZ map folder, the Australia map folder and all loose files in the root of the unit, NO OTHER FOLDERS or their contents.

Then connect to Home and install the application offered. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. See if the Western Europe map works now.

did all that and get the same problem with the europe map.....I will just have to call Tomtom tomorrow and see what can be done.

Is there a way of getting an older version of my device application prior to the last update?
First - even the 'native' European map may have functioned only due to a hack. It could well have been a map far more recent than was shipped with the unit. Those updates aren't free, either.

If things are as we suspect, an older legit version of the TomTom application won't help you, either. Those would all also reject a map that wasn't properly keyed to the unit serial number (which is how all of this works).

Since the seller seems to have his/her own ways of dealing with such things, it might be best to advise that you didn't expect a unit whose firmware couldn't be updated, and that you'd be happy to return it to this someone who is prepared to (ahem) sort it out.

In short - you're down to three options

Return to sender for refund
Buy map from TomTom
We don't even talk about option #3 here

Ask a Question