Text To Speech

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One
I saw an article in GPS Magazine where someone enabled the text-speech-function that had been disabled in the Garmin C510/C530. Has anyone looked into the possibility of doing the same for the TomTom One? A previous post indicated the capability was there but just disabled in the firmware.

Long time discussion on this topic. No...it cannopt be currently enabled. it was disabled with the current firmware version.

There has to be about 30-50 threads on this topic by now......

I saw an article in GPS Magazine where someone enabled the text-speech-function that had been disabled in the Garmin C510/C530. Has anyone looked into the possibility of doing the same for the TomTom One? A previous post indicated the capability was there but just disabled in the firmware.

I saw a similar article on the net about enabling the TTS for Garmin units. I for one would also like to have it on my TT1, but as been discussed in numerous threads, it is illegal.

If my ONE had TTS on it, it would be just perfect. As Battom noted elsewhere, maybe the ONE v3 will have TTS? It would be worth upgrading, if so. And who knows what's coming in the ONE XL. :D

Same here, Pedro. Without a doubt, and without hesitation, if it has TTS it's mine.

Hi DF.
You misunderstood Martin. He bought the the 510 because he did'nt want to waste money on some gimmick that doesn't work well. I had the same thought as his.

Yes I heard of TomTom's Text to Speech. It works well for me. I like the computer voice Dave. I understand him pretty clear, especially when I have him speak through my car's speakers.

Yes I heard of TomTom's Text to Speech. It works well for me. I like the computer voice Dave. I understand him pretty clear, especially when I have him speak through my car's speakers.
Hmmmmm.... maybe I just heard a bad voice. I don't know which one I heard but the acCENTS were on the wrong sylLABles and half the words seemed mispronounced. Honestly, it was horrible, nearly unintelligible, and I was reading along with it on the screen.

In bilingual or multilingual countries (Quebec, Belgium ...) TTS can be a nightmare.:D
Well each one has his/her own preferences.

I think it also depends on the language you set the unit. I have my unit of in English, but when I let my dad use it, I had it set on a spanish computer voice. It would say the majority of the directions in spanish but it was say left turn, keep right etc in English with the spanish accent. It appears I should have set the unit's language to spanish too.

I tried it and also didn't like it. It pronounced the name of numbered roads (e.g. A303) oddly. It was distracting for the driver

Ask a Question