TeleAtlas / Maps.Google.Com

TomTom Model(s)
One XL S
I have lived in 2 mapping worlds where I looked up items on maps.google.com...and saw the Navteq view of the world...and of course I drove around with the TeleAtlas data in my Tom. I happened to be looking at maps.google.com a few minutes ago and it struck me that for every place I was looking at (mostly Northern VA area)...maps.google.com had the TeleAtlas data! Oh, I do hope it stays that way!

http://www.teleatlas.com/WhyTeleAtlas/Pressroom/PressReleases/TA_CT018846

?Google?s innovation and leadership is undisputed, and we are proud to have the opportunity to be the map foundation for one of the world?s most progressive web companies,? said Bill Henry, CEO of Tele Atlas. ?This agreement is important too because it gives us access to input from a significant online community of map users, whose feedback can help us keep our maps fresh and accurate.?

This is great.

Using google maps to test some routes versus my North America 7.15 map a few routes have changed. I notice that google now routes me out of my neighborhood a different way. This route is actually faster by a minute or two. No big deal but possibly some of the anonymous data collection is making its way into the maps. Also, the drive times to a few regular destinations are now much closer to reality.

I imagine google will always have the freshest map data, so checking maps.google.com could be an easier way (than mapinsight) to see what changes have been made and if a new map upgrade is right for you.

edited for spelling errors.

..checking maps.google.com could be an easier way (than mapinsight) to see what changes have been made and if a new map upgrade is right for you.

But I think it is the case that the just released 810 maps for TT will soon be not as accurate as what we will find at maps.google.com as it ie maps.google is continually or at least frequently updating. So after not too long a while maps.google or even mapinsight will always show greater accuracy than what one will see on the 810 release.

Makes no bloody difference. As of March this year both Nacteq and TeleAtlas moved me 86 meters the the west and 9 meters to the south when using my street address.

But...on maps.google.com you can edit your address and move it to the right location...

Makes no bloody difference. As of March this year both Nacteq and TeleAtlas moved me 86 meters the the west and 9 meters to the south when using my street address.

you poor canadians..

But I think it is the case that the just released 810 maps for TT will soon be not as accurate as what we will find at maps.google.com as it ie maps.google is continually or at least frequently updating. So after not too long a while maps.google or even mapinsight will always show greater accuracy than what one will see on the 810 release.

isn't this typically the case with map updates?

isn't this typically the case with map updates?

I guess. But it bothers me that one basically purchases a map update for over $100 sight unseen. There should be a way to be able to 'look at' a particular map for the life of the map...so one can determine if there are enough changes to justify the purchase.

I just found out today.
It seems that Google Maps is now using TeleAtlas covering entire North America. This is good news for TT Users.
Anyway, what happens with NavTeq? Does Google part away from it?

Ask a Question