Switching SD cards...

Hello everyone, I did a fast search and I really hope this hasnt already been posted. I bought a new TomTom while on vacation this past xmas. Well it asked for me to update the maps so i needed to buy an external sd card. I grabbed the only one I could find it was a 32GB ultra micro sd card ... now that Im home I want to swap out that good card for a smaller card. I thought it was just a matter of transfering over the files off the current sd card but when I put it into my macbook there was nothing on the card, are these files hidden? Can this be done, or is there a better fast solution here? Thanks for your time... Oh and one more thing Im using the US Canada Mexico maps, is there a way to delete the Mexico maps to make more room. AGAiN THANKS!!

Cheers!
Todd

Well, what model do you have, one that uses Home or one requiring MyDrive? And I'm afraid the USA_Canada_Mexico map can't be split off by deleting Mexico though you can be offered zoned maps of Northern_USA and Canada, for example.

If the 32 gb card, when inserted into the device, was formatted in TomTom's proprietary method, then the stuff on it will not show up in Finder so you can't transfer.

If you get a smaller microsdhc card -- 8 or 16 gb -- and insert into the device, then it would need formatting again in TT's method and the map can again be downloaded, or SHOULD be able to be downloaded, from your account.

Thanks a lot for the fast response!! I went ahead and tried just inserting the new smaller 8GB card asked for the update and just like magic there she is downloading to the new 8gb card!! :)

Thanks Again mate!!
Todd

The file system on the card isn't like anything your Mac has seen before. All that you might see are two Windows type files, each of which is actually an entire file system of yet another type.

Ask a Question