stop lane images from showing

TomTom Model(s)
AK3GG B2P7S
I think i am correct in my terminology, but i may be wrong.

I am trying to stop the lane images from popping up when on a highway and switching lanes, or getting off an off ramp, etc. Ive went through tooth and nail of the menus trying to stop this. The only option i found was "show lane guidance" with a checkbox. However i dont think this is it, as the lane images show up with it checked or not checked. I dont see any option whatsoever about showing the lane images.

Just to be perfectly clear. in this example
http://img.gpsreview.net/wp-content/uploads/tomtom-active-lane-guidance.png
I dont want the image at the top with the Boston sign to show up at all.

Awhile ago i tried to fix this problem, and i came across some forum that said that you may need to remove a file from the tomtom manually. However i cannot find this forum now. What was the file you had to remove in order to permanently disable the lane iamges from showing. Another one said there is an option to disable the lane image (although mine does not). I also saw someone say to just tap the lane image and it will go away. To behonest, i never thought of this, so i dont know if this works....but as someone responded to that...you do not have time to tap the GPS to determine your next turn if you are in a slip.

I find the lane image popping up blocking your data quite annoying because every time i go to NYC i can count on missing a turn or two thanks to the lane images. If i was to tap the GPS at those times i would get into an accident. So it would be nice to be able to just permanently disable them as i never find it useful.

My GPS info is in this screenshot of the operation of the device, along with the checkbox option for lane guidance.
Screenshot (49).png
Screenshot (50).png

Lane guidance are the little arrows at the bottom of your screen.
"Hide lane images" is on page 3 of 8 on my 930.

Your link shows the "reality view" with the lane arrows on the road and the overhead sign as you (should) encounter it while driving.
You cannot have one without the other.

Your link shows the "reality view" with the lane arrows on the road and the overhead sign as you (should) encounter it while driving.

My GPS goes from following me showing each turn, to (when on an off ramp only) a still image for a long time, then switches back to following me at each turn.

My tomtom only shows this still image when turning on an off ramp on the highway. It will follow me until an off ramp that i need to take. It then switches to a still image like the link i showed. It stays on this still image for a good 10-20 seconds before going back to following me at each turn. The part that gets me in a jam is when you have an off ramp and then a second off ramp 100's of yard on the first ramp. Because its a still image and no longer following me, i miss the second turn because it takes too long to switch back to follow me. (at the point where i can understand that there are two turns within a couple hundred yards.

You cannot have one without the other.
I dont really care what other options i have to lose to get rid of this still image on off ramps, because it has near caused me accidents.

The GPS acts as if the option "show lane guidance" has no effect. Because if it is checked or not, lane guidance still runs. Is this suppose to get rid of just the arrows at the bottom, or the still image that pops up showing a turn?

Is there a mod i can attach to remove this feature? Is there a file i can delete to remove these still images?

I only have 3 pages of options, not 8. There is no option to turn off lane images.

EDIT:
In this guys demo, the still image i am referring to is at 0:38
https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9xTDoX3Dsg&h=aAQGm-bBy
and in his it shows it stays on this still image for a good 30 seconds. You can miss a ton of turns in that 30 seconds.

EDIT2:
of in this tutorial the picture 2
http://www.tomtom.com/page/lane-guidance
is more confusing than picture 1/3 if multiple turns in that time period. So how can i remove #2. I would rather not have this functionality at all.

Last edited:
When the lane image appears on the screen, just tap the screen and the lane image disappears and you are back to the driving view.

When the lane image appears on the screen, just tap the screen and the lane image disappears and you are back to the driving view.
Like i said that would cause me an accident in NYC to lean over and touch the GPS in the middle of traffic. I want to remove it so it never shows up at all.

What is the model you have? (the one you show is NOT a proper model name). See here:
oh sorry i thought that the display info was the correct one. Under the bar code it reads:

GU1482B05669

how can the modelname that help me determine how to remove lane images? I tried googling the model name with variants of stop lane images, but i dont see anything that may be more helpful with the model name.

There is no setting on that model to stop the Reality View image from appearing. As I said, tap the screen and it'll disappear. Takes less time than your switching radio stations on your car stereo.

I only have 3 pages of options, not 8. There is no option to turn off lane images.
No need to explain what it does, we all know.
Once you come back with the right model name dhn may be able to direct you to a location on your device where this feature can be switched off.
Hide_lane_image.jpg

As I said, tap the screen and it'll disappear. Takes less time than your switching radio stations on your car stereo.
yeah, try that in the middle of rush hour in NYC manhattan and your front bumper will be inside the trunk of the car in front of you. Sorry i do not mean to be rude. I find it difficult there is no option to turn this off, including modification of the software.

What about the method of removing the lane image resource files?

You have a flair for the dramatic. I have no idea what the resource files are for the lane images. Make a backup of your device's contents and try it yourself.

I find it difficult there is no option to turn this off,
I do not know where your device is mounted. Mine is just in view below the rear view mirror. Since I constantly scan that mirror so that I am aware of traffic around me, the pop up of the Reality View will be caught by the corners of the eye.
If the device is in easy reach, without moving the body, the screen can be tapped anywhere, without focusing, as dhn suggests.

Why did tomtom make some devices with the option to turn it off, but other not?

Ask a Question