Stock mount sucks!!! TomTom 720 just flew out the window!

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I took a quick trip to 7-Eleven about 3 minutes ago. The store is located in my neighborhood and is about a 1 minute drive. I pulled out of my street and made a left. Upon making the left, the mount came off the windshield along with the TomTom, slid across my dashboard, and went out the window. The device rolled down a ditch and made it to the end at the bottom.

I am SO glad it didn't rain today because normally those grass ditches in my neighborhood are filled with water for a few hours after it rains. I'm also lucky my TomTom didn't hit the pavement. Instead it hit dog poop. It landed on the grass so it had no hard impact at all. Probably hit poop on the way down. What sucks is that I normally don't use this stock mount because I have an Arkon aftermarket mount. I couldn't find it so I grabbed my stock mount. Before applying it to my windshield, I licked it as usual. Not only that but it is crazy humid right now, so I would figure the moist windshield would give it a better seal. Any time I apply the mount I always put TONS of pressure to make sure that sucker doesn't fall off. Well tonight sucked, but was a close call. As it flew out the window I was swearing out loud while I was having heart palpitations thinking my 720 was a dead....thing... I only took my TomTom with me to the store because I was testing out Trip Master

The funny thing is that I have been insulting TomTom all day today (you may have read some of my other posts today) because of their lousy ability to let me make left turns and instead makes me take huge circles by taking tons of rights. Is this payback from my TomTom?!?! :eek:

STOCK MOUNT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edit : I just finished wiping off the dog poop off of the screen of the TomTom. It wasn't much, about the size of 2 quarters. I'm lucky the poop didn't end up in the speaker holes on the other side.

Man, what a POOPY experience :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Now son........:eek: How many times do I gotta tell you that them damn windshield stickem thingie ain't worth the dog poop.........:p:eek:

That sucks extremely. I'm glad i spent a little extra and bought one of those pro clip mounts that is made for your car. Should be here in the next day or so.

sageuvagony I agree that the Arkon mount is far superior to the OEM TomTom one that comes with the x20/x30

Your lucky to have been able to recover the unit from its unintended trip, how come the power cable didn't save it? - Short trip so didn't plug it in I guess....

If you have to use stock mounts consider getting the newer x20/ x30 Easy Port mount, this is a much better unit, still inferiour to the Arkon/ Carcomm/ Brodit methods of attaching the nav unit though - Mike

No problems with my stock mount

I use the stock mount for my 920 on the windshield of my Morgan, and the ride in a Morgan is not like a tour bus. A little spit and it holds just fine.

Funny - I've been using tomtom mounts for years, and they've only fallen off in the most humid/hot of days. Maybe licking them is worse?

There's one good thing about the unused Accord nav in my car, I feel save leaving the tomtom mount on the windshield permanently. No thief would think someone is silly enough to have two navs in one car. Actually it's pretty cool, I zoom out on the accord nav to see where I am in relation on a large-scale view, and the tomtom shows me turn-by-turn.

I'm not sure why some have so much trouble with the stock mount...

Admittedly I don't use it much, but it's never fallen off the windshield for me. Make sure you clean the area where you're going to mount it VERY well. Car windscreens get very dirty and collect a vinyl film from off-gassing of the dash and other interior bits. Also clean the mount rubber surface with alcohol to ensure it's clean and free of grease.

I just received my Pro clip mount today. I have to say that it is very nice. I got one that goes around my vents and not have to worry about putting it on the window and it looks nice too. If you are having problems with the suction mount i would highly recommend one of the pro cip mounts. Like i said it is very nice, made for your car specifially, and doesn't get put on the window.

Your lucky to have been able to recover the unit from its unintended trip, how come the power cable didn't save it? - Short trip so didn't plug it in I guess....

If you have to use stock mounts consider getting the newer x20/ x30 Easy Port mount, this is a much better unit, still inferiour to the Arkon/ Carcomm/ Brodit methods of attaching the nav unit though - Mike

I don't use the cable for such short trips. I neatly wrap and tie up the TomTom power adapter rather than just throwing it in my glove box since I have alot of junk in there. Didn't feel like undoing all that.. blah.. Even if the cable was in, I'm pretty sure that thing woulda popped right out.

Last edited:

Ask a Question