Start 25 will not connect

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25 Europe
When I plug my device into a rear USB slot My TomTom tells me that my device is up to date and quotes the Serial number but then when it connects to the net via MyTomTom I'm told that updates are available. The device then searches for updates, stops and a message appears on My TomTom saying that 'There is something wrong with your device. Try disconnecting and reconnecting it to your computer''.

I've tried this upteen times to no avail. I have the up to date app 11.037 (achieved with lots of input from you) but the Europe map is out of date, v865 which I know I need to update as I live in France and hence I have the 'radar' issues.

Any ideas why the device won't connect enough to start or offer the download?

If I need to contact TomTom can you give me their phone number etc - can't find it on the website.

When you say it's 'searching for updates', is this AFTER you click on 'Get New Items' in the web page of MyTomTom?

In fact it was before doing anything other than connecting the cables.

However, I have now cured the problem. I say 'i' but in fact I took another look at the firewall situation on my computer. I had turned off the firewall on my stand alone security program but apparently when I did that it left the windows firewall still active. Soooo, the advice to check the firewall if you have problems downloading from TomTom is excellent provided you turn off ALL the firewalls on your machine as some are not only compatible with Windows firewall but if they fail, Windows provides a second barrier.

Hope this helps anyhone else having the same trouble.

By the way, DHN thanks for your interest.

I say 'i' but in fact I took another look at the firewall situation on my computer.
If you ever get into a situation where a firewall must remain active for other reasons, be advised that all you should need to open up is Port 4000.

Further to my thinking that I had cured the problem, in fact all I had done was enable my computer to download the map software - it took 7 hours! - but when it came to installing it I met another problem with connecting my computer to the TomTom server.

Anyway, I thought I should let you know that this connection problem has also been resolved.

A chat with TomTom support did not really help, except to suggest that I try another computer and a faster broadband connection. Voila, I was able to connect to the server using my wife's laptop but needed to re-download the map onto her laptop which wasn't viable as she needed to use the machine and couldn't wait the 7 hours it takes to download.:(

I wondered what the difference was between her laptop and my PC and realised that it could be that I had antivirus, antiphishing, anti adware, spyware etc enabled even after turning the firewall off.

Eureka! As soon as I switched off all the security on my PC, the machine connected immediately to the TOMTOM server and I had the map installed in about an hour with no involvement from me.

The downside of this is that the PC security is switched off for about an hour and that is a risk.

Many thanks guys for your advice - perhaps this might help others who have strict security on their PC's.

Last edited:
FAs soon as I switched off all the security on my PC, the machine connected immediately to the TOMTOM server and I had the map installed in about an hour with no involvement from me.

The downside of this is that the PC security is switched off for about an hour and that is a risk.

Well done. :thumb:
Now the fun and games starts, trying to work out how to put all the security back on, but still allow the TomTom to get connected!

Ask a Question