Star Wars Voices on iPhone 4

TomTom support insists that it's possible to add the Star Wars voices from version 1.5 of the app on iPhone 4, but I can't find any such button. They don't know enough about their own app to help me (talking about non-existent buttons and such). Can someone tell me what is going on? My phone is not jailbroken and I just got it a week ago, so it's not like I have an unusual setup. They claim there's a "TomTom Shop" button in the menu but there isn't. There is a "traffic" button which I used to subscribe to traffic, but there's no way to get to voices or anything like that through that link that I can see. I have looked in all visible menus and submenus, so either it's there and stupidly hidden or it's not there and their app gives different options to different people for some reason. thanks for any help anyone can give.

I downloaded the app about a week ago and haven't really played with any settings, I definitely have a "TomTom Shop" in my menu:
photo4n.png
Clicking on it, I go to a sub-menu with TomTom Traffic and Voices, for some reason it seems you only have TomTom Traffic.

Try going to Change Settings > Voice - under English you should see the Star Wars voices. If you click on one it should take you to a purchase/restore screen that's the same as if you'd navigated there via TomTom Shop.

Is it possible it's a UK-only feature and I'm getting the shaft for being US? Since TomTom is European the customer service people might have just assumed I was without considering it. I have attached my screenshot of horrors.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 449
Also, it is not in the voices menu. I only get the generic names like "Samantha" and bla bla bla but no Star Wars.

To answer your question about only being available in Europe. You are right---only available in certain European countries.

Is it possible it's a UK-only feature and I'm getting the shaft for being US? Since TomTom is European the customer service people might have just assumed I was without considering it.

Fingers crossed it'll be available for US users in the next update - it's surely far too big a market to ignore. I'm pretty sure TomTom are going to want every last cent they can get their hands on after all!

You're probably right about the customer service thing, they should be a bit more thorough and not just insist a feature is there if it's only limited to certain markets, would have saved a lot of confusion.

very weird considering Star Wars came from the US and it's available in the US on TomTom One. Is Lucas afraid iPhone users will steal the Yoda wave files and go around telling people "a left turn you must make"??? Also, if they do release an update where they enable it (which is the only way they could do it since they hardcoded a stub button into the menu), I wonder if it will be free or you have to buy it again. Since I already bought Yoda on my old TomTom One, they SHOULD just give it to my on iPhone, but I can almost guarantee they'll make me buy it again ;-)

it is extremely odd that their customer service reps didn't consider this and just insisted the button must exist. That's what happens when you have people read from scripts instead of being trained on the product...

Maybe the problem is that the U.S. iPhone app uses feet instead of yards and they didn't have them record it that way. If so, they shouldn't be going out of their way to hide it and insist people in the US are crazy for not seeing this obvious button. They have the corporate maturity of an 8 year old who broke his parents' vase.

David, Have you still got the Yoda voice from your PND available on your computer? if so I have a way of getting this voice on to the TT iPhone app on a NON Jail Broken iPhone, will post up some instructions later - Mike

It looks like I do still have the files, but it says US Yards since that's all my TomTom One did. the iPhone on the other hand seems to only do feet. Will they interact badly? I don't know why TomTom ever used yards for the US in the first place...apparently their market research is limited to NFL Quarterbacks ;-)

First of all you will need to download an application for your computer called "DiskAid" which is available in both Windows and MAC variants from Here Its free to use in eval mode for 14 days, after which you need a licenced version which doesn't cost a great deal and opens up a wealth of posibilities for customisation of files on your iPhone.

With DiskAid installed to your PC the first step is to enable all the options in the user preferences. Launch the application and select DiskAid/ Preferences from the Toolbar and make sure all options are selected:

Shut down and then restart DiskAid as the required change will only take effect at the next start up of the program.

Connect your iPhone to the computer, iTunes isn't needed for the rest of this procedure so it can be shut down.

Launch DiskAid and locate the folder where the TomTom app resides, in this next screen shot it is for the UK & ROI app, if you have Western_Europe or North America installed the folder name will differ:

Open the folder called "voices" as this is where your Yoda voice needs to go but the iPhone app will only accept voice files supplied with the app unless you re-name the dataXX.chk (where XX is a number) for the Yoda voice to be the same as one of the existing voice files probably best to re-name it to data173.chk

With this file replacing the original on the iPhone in the voices folder all thats left to do is select the "Magyar (Hun)" voice from within the app and give it a try, as for feet/ yards I have no idea what the voice will do on the iPhone so let us know when you find out - Mike

It crashed the app. The instructions didn't say whether to rename or copy over the .vif file, but I tried it both without copying it and with copying it (renamed to the same name as the chk file) and in both scenarios, it crashes the app when I try to select the male Magyar voice. The name of the Magyar voice is different on mine than on yours, but that shouldn't matter since it's obviously the correct file for it to have crashed when it got replaced. Maybe it saw that it was yards and freaked out?

Strange as my iPhone is running a custom third party voice using the exact same scenario as detailed earlier, its a different voice that wasn't supplied by TomTom though (See attached zip and try that as it works on my unit but you need to select the UK TIM voice to get Liz) - Mike

Attachments

• iPhone LIZ Whit voice.zip
    646.3 KB · Views: 378
Thats what I did to get Liz on the iPhone and it worked fine in use all day to the Lake District and back ;)

If the Yoda voice is locked to a device (does it have a .meta or .dct file associated with it), if so then it won't work, some of the premium voices from TomTom have contained encription locking them to a single device - Mike

Ask a Question