Speed limit

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1505M
I just tried out my new VIA 1505...as soon as I went on to the freeway which was 110km/hr and has been for a few years..my navigator showed 100 km/hr as the speed limit...so consequently it kept beeping when I went to about 105 km/hr..so is there an adjustment

Don't believe so. There is a safety warning you can disable 'warn when driving faster than allowed'. But the numbers of km or miles above the limit is not adjustable.

OK thanks..but is there a reason why it shows a wrong speed limit on this highway ..I haven't tried it on other highways as I just it down...

OK thanks..but is there a reason why it shows a wrong speed limit on this highway ..I haven't tried it on other highways as I just it down...
Erroneous values for the speed limit are not unusual. Depending upon the source of the data, and also upon how recently the speed limit was changed, the value that your device has in its database may be spot on, or may be off quite a bit.

I had one section of southbound Interstate 405 in Southern California that showed a speed limit of 55mph, which was well below the correct value. I finally figured out that it dropped to 55mph at the exact point of a sign announcing an off-ramp to Highway 55 - apparently the person entering the speed values into the database had confused that sign with a speed limit sign, as the GPS went back up to 65mph as soon as the next speed limit sign was passed. It took a while, but TomTom finally corrected the speed limit for that section of I-405.

- Tom -

Thanks..I guess I did not leave it on long enough for it to correct..but will try what you said....I just got fed up with the beeping

Thanks..I guess I did not leave it on long enough for it to correct..but will try what you said....I just got fed up with the beeping
My apologies if you interpreted my comment as saying that the speed would be corrected if you leave your GPS on for a long time. It will get corrected only when TomTom (the company) makes a database update that includes the correct speed limit for the area in question. In the case of the section of I-405 that I mentioned above, the correction was made about 14 months after I reported the error. (And it is also possible that someone else had reported the same error long before I did.)

- Tom -

As a Nav3 device, if the user creates a Mapshare correction for a speed limit, while that speed is NOT used for ETA calculation purposes, it IS still used as a known speed limit for warning purposes -- yes? No need to wait for approval and return via the Mapshare system.

Thanks..I guess I did not leave it on long enough for it to correct..but will try what you said....
That only applied to that one specific instance, as described by -et-.
In your case that scenario would happen if there were an exit for a highway numbered 100+ .

I just got fed up with the beeping
It only beeps once, around 105 -106 km/h.
If it keeps on beeping all the time it means you are constantly dropping below 105 km/h and then go over it again.
Don't ask me how I know and don't ask me why I mute the sound with SWMBO in the car!

Ask a Question