Speed Cameras

I am considering buying a tomtom satnav, but I want to establish the speed camera situation:
I require the speed camera warning and danger zones warnings, but do not want it to alert if I go over the speed limit when a camera is not in range. Is there a certain model I need or are they all the same. It would be required for UK and Western Europe areas.

They are all the same EXCEPT for a couple of the really low-end models that have a "simplified" menu. Those models do not have the ability to set warnings for POIs, which is what you need if you want to use on of the third-party camera data suppliers. These are generally considered to be better than TomTom's own offering.

All of them have built-in camera warnings, but the quality of the data is not fantastic (quite a few missed cameras and ones in roadworks that finished ages ago. You can also only have a "chime" warning as you approach a camera.

In the UK, many people opt for the camera warnings from PocketGPSWorld website instead. This is a subscription service (like TomTom's) but it's more accurate and you can also have VOICE warnings telling you the speed limit as you approach a camera.

You can run both PGPSW's warnings and TomToms own ones side by side if you wish, but most people turn the /TomTom one's off once they have installed PGPSW's.

TomTom's ones are the best for France though as only they can do the "Danger zones" warnings required over there.

---------------

I think all TomToms now have an optional over-speed warning.
There are both audible and visual warnings available, but they can be individually turned on or off.
By default the system is turned on (so the left corner of the status bar turns red, but the audible warning is set to silence.

as a corollary, i have tried to rectify the lack of cameras in my area, but am unsure that my pinpointing of camera'd intersections is done correctly. they seem to neither stick with my device, nor get into the system so it can be an update. perhaps if i knew the process i could decide whether or not i'm being impatient.

The best bet is to give up on TomTom's rather poor camera information and get one of the third-party alternatives for the TomTom units.

Ask a Question