Solution: XULRunner crash

TomTom Model(s)
For anyone else who has been having problems with XULrunner.ext crashes:

These happen during a Map Share update. The update is seen, and then downloaded, but Home will crash when it tries to copy the new files to the unit (720). I went back and forth last month with tech support. They weren't able to figure it out and I ended up returning the unit for a new one. That was fine until Oct. 5. I had been getting daily updates. Then on that date the update failed and I got the old xulrunner.exe error. Then I stopped receiving map share updates. I thought, "well, maybe there aren't any updates today." Unfortunately, it continued like that for days. I could receive and install GPS fixes and POI update, but no map updates. I tried uninstalling Home and cleaning the registry. That didn't work, despite trying several times, even with the special registry cleaning file provided by tech support.
I decided that it sounded like a corrupted file on the device itself. I didn't have my backup with me here at the office. So I looked at the files structure on the 720. I found several files that looked like they were from the last time the maps updated. They were all related to maps, so I thought they'd be a good bet.
-So I started the update
-it found new updates
-I paused and went to the device and moved the suspect files to the recycle bin.
-I went back to Home and elected to download/install the updates.
-They installed just fine

Probably only one of the files was corrupt. I haven't played any further to determine the culprit. But listed below are the files:
CurrentMap.dat
UserPatch.dat
newsettings.dat
ttgo.bif

Good luck and good night

I just updated mine again and here was my experience.

When I first plugged in the TT, Windows XP said that the device had malfunctioned. This happened several times until I rebooted Windows.

After that, I launched TomTom Home 2 and connected the device successfully.

It updated (see screenshot), including Mapshare Map Updates and QuickGPSFix or whatever.

I was able to then disconnect and remove the device without error and then successfully close TomTom Home without error. It's usually when closing TomTom Home that I get the dreaded XULRUNNER problem.

Attachments

• tth1.png
    tth1.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 435
Hi Nauset:

I have had the same problem you are having since doing an update. I tried what you suggested, but it did not work for me. I have also put in a request to TomTom support as to how to fix the problem.

I reported this in another thread......

Solution for xulrunner crash with mapshare downloads......

With unit on and docked, power up TomTom Home desktop sofware.
On top menu, select Preferences/TomTom Mapshare/Delete Updates (or whatever the exact wording is, I don't have the software here).

Check BOTH boxes you see in the next screen and save (Apply?)

Try the Updating again. Should work.

Problem was a recent corrupted mapshare file blocking further updates.

i had that error twice... didnt have any update available for 2 days and now they are back

just in case i did delete the update after but only the second box... i made a lot of correction to my own map and i didnt want to loose it

it seems clear that the problem is in a corrupted mapshare file. Xulrunner "crashes" because for some reason it cannot complete it's functions. And instead of reporting an error message it simply fails. [note to tech support: an error message would not only be "nice" but would expediate further support]

If the "delete updates" works, that's good too. My approach was more draconian but it did work in the end. To do it again I'd first try the "delete updates" and try a sync. If that didn't work I'd delete the files by hand.

However,
The xulrunner crashing after the updates are done and the device ejected--that sounds like another problem altogether.

XULRunner

Solution for xulrunner crash with mapshare downloads......

On top menu, select Preferences/TomTom Mapshare/Delete Updates (or whatever the exact wording is, I don't have the software here).

Check BOTH boxes you see in the next screen and save (Apply?)

Try the Updating again. Should work.

Problem was a recent corrupted mapshare file blocking further updates.

I have a TT One 3rd edition. Tried this solution and it worked ! I did not have to delete my own corrections.

Thanks for the tip.
Marc

DHN,
Thank you so much for your email. I tried your method and it works. I had contacted TomTom and got the TT two step and had another post on here but all to no avail. AGAIN THANK YOU. KUDOS

xulrunner.exe

I had the same problem with Western Europe MapShare and xulrunner. I surmised it was a corrupt file. Logged with TomTom Dealer Support in UK. They were very helpful but had not come across this problem. It was a corrupted file in MapShare. After a lot of two and froing, there is new software to TomTom Home which is now running at version 2.1.1.106 which should alleviate further problems. The easiest work around was to untick the Update map corrections whilst this error was being investigated.

It was no good trying to download the latest version of xulrunner.exe, because TomTom use a specific version of it for their software. It is one reason that it is kept within the Program Files for TomTom home.

Newbie. LOL That is a laugh

Been using and working with TomTom Products since the days of www.palmtop.nl and RoutePlanner and StreetPlanner for Psion 5. 720 is their best product so far. I am glad they make their security a little better and earn us shareholders a bit more. Sorry if that sounds capitalistic, but five mins to make a map set readable in any PDA or previously bought unit was pathetic.

Since I travel in East and West Europe more than the States, I am looking for a decent offering of East Europe. I know Eastern Europe v680.1536 covers Romania and Bulgaria, as it is VERY BASIC, but there is nothing yet to surpass v608 Eastern Europe that was released as a trial. Full of errors, but still the best coverage.

If they release a v7 version of that I would be happy to help with certain countries and cities. With many Eastern Europe countries, roads change regularly and one way streets happen overnight

Just to confirm.......

You are looking to the preferences menu at the top of the Home software, not the 'change preferences' on the unit (or in Home Software)?

Also....just got an update to version 2.1 (something) Home Software (for a PC). Anything similar offered for the Mac?

Hy, dhn!!

Answering your last question first, Macs are presently using TT Home v1.6.020, although if you go to the update page on TT's web site for TT Home, it provides you with a download of v1.5. Version 1.6.020 is available via another link in answer to a support question...

TT Support recently advised that they are working on a TT Home v2.1 now, and implied (?) that it would cover both PCs and Macs - but perhaps that was my wishful thinking??!!

The Preferences in Mac's TT Home, which is the only Preferences option anywhere and is located under the "TT Home" application heading, provide: (under "General") 1) a check for an update to TT Home, 2) Change language, and (under "Advanced") 3) the four folder locations on the HDD that apply to i) Downloads, ii) Extra Content, iii) Backups and iv) Copy To Computer. That's it - no other options are provided.

I'm working up to contacting TT Support about this, but other, more-pressing matters are intervening!!

Cheers!

G

XULRUNNER.EXE didn't crash on my PC, but it did stay running at 97-100% after I disconnected my GO700 and completely exited from Home v2.1. Seems they haven't fixed the problem entirely. For me, ending the XULRUNNER.EXE process via Windows Task Manager did the trick. Thanks for posting this thread, though. I wasn't sure what XULRUNNER.EXE was and why it was now running on my PC. The only information I could find was about some app called Songbird or something. Haha. I guess my GO700 wants to sing now! ;)

Just an FYI for any Mac users, and a bit of a DUHH!! for me. The upper menu bar on TT HOME v 1.6.020 for Macs has a Map Corrections option. In the contextual menu that drops down from this is a Remove Map Corrections selection. I just chose that and then successfully downloaded my map updates with no further bother.

Now why didn't I look there before???................... :eek:

As regards an upgrade for TT HOME to make it Mac-compatible, TT Support had this to say: "Unfortunately we still don't have any information on when TomTom HOME 2 will be compatible with the Mac OS"

Works for me!

Thanks, my PC was running at 100% because of the xulrunner.exe

The actual prompts described above are:
On top menu, select Preferences; TomTom Mapshare; REMOVE CORRECTIONS;
_X_ Remove all the corrections I made myself.
_X_ Remove all the corrections made by others or verified by TomTom.

In my case I preferred to keep the corrections I made myself, so I only selected the bottom option and it DID solve my problem.
THANKS!
:D

Registry hack

Thanks, my PC was running at 100% because of the xulrunner.exe

The actual prompts described above are:
On top menu, select Preferences; TomTom Mapshare; REMOVE CORRECTIONS;
_X_ Remove all the corrections I made myself.
_X_ Remove all the corrections made by others or verified by TomTom.

In my case I preferred to keep the corrections I made myself, so I only selected the bottom option and it DID solve my problem.
THANKS!
:D

Well, it worked for a few days, but then it started happening again. As luck would have it, I just received a fix from TomTom support today, which suggests uninstalling TTHome2 and then running the attached registry fix, then reinstalling TTHome2.

So far it seems to have worked! Time will tell...
:)

Attachments

• deletehomeentries.zip
    221 bytes · Views: 287

Ask a Question