So tired of searching

Hi tomtomers

I really hope someone here can point me in the right direction as to which model will suit my needs. Running a delivery business our delivery routes are created before they are loaded onto the gps.

Just yesterday purchased a go live 800 but Im pretty sure I'll be returning it, as I have painfully discovered i cant load a route onto the device with a .itn file, using tyre or any such method.

I currently have garmin nuvis, which does the job I need it to, simply copying a gpx file onto the gps. There are a few quirks with the nuvi that have turned me off buying another one, so Im looking at tomtom.

I dont mind if I buy a new model or a second hand/discontinued one. From what I've read I need a gps that is compatible with tomtom Home.

What I need:
  • Abililty to load/copy my route onto the device. I can generate files .itn .gpx or use tyre, I dont mind.
  • Bluetooth for phone calls
  • Lane assist
  • Fixed speed camera locations (my garmin does this without any subscription.)
  • Speed alert
  • Spoken street name
What Id would like aswell but not deal breaker
  • IQ routes
  • Mobile speed cameras
  • Ability to correct maps

Alternatively, If someone knows how I can load my route onto the go live 800, Ill be very happy to keep it as it does everything else I need!

Many thanks

Ivan

Item #1 (*.itn files) puts you in the old "Nav2" style units, and the last of these that we recommended (the XXL540) didn't have Bluetooth. In fact, it sounds like you'd be best off with the old GO740 unit. It does all that you need and more, and was the last of the 'old line'. Find one of these, and it's like finding gold.

A few units have recently been released with the old architecture (some Start units), but they do not include Bluetooth capability.

The 8XX series are one of the newer "Nav3" units with the closed architecture (don't show up as external storage drives on your PC). There is no mechanism for loading *.itn files to these units.

The loss of features on the newer design has been frustrating, to say the least.

Item #1 (*.itn files) puts you in the old "Nav2" style units, and the last of these that we recommended (the XXL540) didn't have Bluetooth. In fact, it sounds like you'd be best off with the old GO740 unit. It does all that you need and more, and was the last of the 'old line'. Find one of these, and it's like finding gold.

A few units have recently been released with the old architecture (some Start units), but they do not include Bluetooth capability.

The 8XX series are one of the newer "Nav3" units with the closed architecture (don't show up as external storage drives on your PC). There is no mechanism for loading *.itn files to these units.

The loss of features on the newer design has been frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks for the fast reply mate :)

Ill take a look at the models you mentioned.

The method of uploading a route doesn't have to be using *.itn, if there are other work arounds I'd love to hear that too.

Can you also tell me about the GO 2435* Series. Can I upload mulit stop routes to this range?

I have been able able to upload the POI files to the go 800 using 'myTomtom', but I am unsure how POI will work on the road - It doesnt look like it will be efficient. Im gonna road test it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Ivan

Last edited:
The method of uploading a route doesn't have to be using *.itn, if there are other work arounds I'd love to hear that too.
As far as I am aware, the newer "NAV3" devices have a maximum of 3 waypoints, plus the final destination, and there is no way around that limit at this time.

Can you also tell me about the GO 2435* Series. Can I upload mulit stop routes to this range?
Not really, unless you can get by with only 4 points . ALL of the newer NAV3 devices have limited capability for multi-waypoint routing. A number of people have told TomTom that they are very unhappy about this, but I have not heard of any change coming.

I have been able able to upload the POI files to the go 800 using 'myTomtom', but I am unsure how POI will work on the road - It doesnt look like it will be efficient. Im gonna road test it tomorrow.
I have the GO LIVE 1535, which is also a NAV3 device. I have found that I can use the same POI files on it as on my XXL540 (a NAV2 device), and that they work equally well. For me, POI files on the 1535 are quite satisfactory.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Hi Tom thanks for the reply.

Basically Im unsure how uploading all my stops for the day, as POI's will work on the road when I try to navigate to them one by one in the required order.

One last question. canderson suggested the go740, which as he said, does seem a bit hard to find.
I have been able to find lots of go730's around though but searching the net I cant seem to find any specs on them. In short:
What's the difference between go730 and go740?

Look on the Discontinued items tab.

Also, links in sig lines to commercial sites are not allowed. Please remove.

After looking at the spread, the 740 does seem slightly more to my liking than the 730.
The question now is, if i find a second handy on US ebay or wherever Im assuming it'll be pretty easy to load an aussie map onto it, but will the LIVE services continue to function over here?

Nope. The sim card embedded in the unit is tied to the network for that country. A US 740 LIVE (if you can find one) works only on the AT&T network.

And you can't pop out sim cards for a gps as you can do for unlocked mobile phones.

Nope. The sim card embedded in the unit is tied to the network for that country. A US 740 LIVE (if you can find one) works only on the AT&T network.

And you can't pop out sim cards for a gps as you can do for unlocked mobile phones.
Also, I am not completely certain that it will apply to the 740 model, but I believe that if he purchases a second-hand unit that has been registered, he may need to get the seller to give him the e-mail address to which it has been registered and the password to that account. Otherwise, he may have a problem convincing TomTom to transfer the ownership and allow updates to the firmware and maps.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

I did find someone selling a go740 here in aust., but they didn't want to post, and were in another state.
I also found a few go730s for sale locally but I still preferred the specs of the 740 so I've bought a refurb go740 from the US.

I guess Ill find out whether it was worth it once I start using it.

Thanks for all your input folks

Ask a Question