SiRF Star III or Global Locate - how can you tell?

If it's SiRF Star III. I think it's got the logo for it on the bottom. I have the hammerhead chip there's no logo on it.

The first character of the serial number is the indication...

I just bought a ONE on sale ... how can I tell which chipset it's using?

TIA for your help!

If the unit's serial number begins with an "E", it's a SiRFFIII chip set. Any other character indicates the Global Locate "Hammerhead" chip.

Well, it looks like I've been HAMMERed! Is that good or bad? Has anyone compared the performance of a 'Hammered' ONE to a SiRF'ed ONE?

Functionally the same... Marginally slower, due to shared system resources.

Well, it looks like I've been HAMMERed! Is that good or bad? Has anyone compared the performance of a 'Hammered' ONE to a SiRF'ed ONE?

The SiRFFIII GPS chip set does not need to share cycles of the system CPU, as does the Hammerhead implementation. TomTom swears that the typical user will not notice any performance differences...UNLESS they make a direct, hands-on comparison to the earlier (SiRFFIII) version 2 One.

One issue that does appear to be directly related to the shared system resources... Many folks with the Hammerhead chip have commented about the SLOW initial satellite fix they are getting after they upgrade to the new Navcore 7.x system. The SiRFFIII units seem to be unaffected after the upgrade.

I'm not aware of any other problems.

Ask a Question