Setting my current location as Home on GO 5000

TomTom Model(s)
GO 5000
Cannot work out how to do this. My actual address is not found as houses in this road have names not numbers. I have saved location to My Places but it will not let me call it Home (already exists) or set Home to the saved location. Can anyone advise please?

M any people do NOT show their actual location as Home, even if they are capable of doing so. For safety reasons, maybe, if device is lost or stolen. Can you try some location a few streets over??

As dhn says, I am one of those who have their device Home location a few lights over which will hardly affect my time/distance calculations.

My actual home location is covered by one of the person names in the My Places menu.
Open a Google map on your PC enlarge your home, put the mouse pointer on it and right click, click on What's here? and your coordinates are entered into the search field.
On your GO 5000 Menu > My Places > Home > in pop up select Edit Location > tap Search > tap Whole map (or whatever you have in the bubble next to the Home button) > tap Latitude Longitude and enter the Google coordinates (without its comma).
Follow clues on the screen (I don't want to proceed and change my Home location at this time).

Thanks for your input - I have set "Home" to a point further along the road and will check co-ordinates if any problems!

I logged on to ask the exact same question for a GO500, and I don't see how having a "home" can possibly be a security issue, that's an excuse
When I had my Garmin I stood under my carport and made that position my home address, on the TomTom I cant do it and the position is about 50 metres out resulting in voice instructions taking me down a side road where I cant access my house
Surely a more accurate position can be added as saying it is a security thing is an excuse for a failing the unit has
Anyone any idea when map share is going to work with a GO500 in Australia, some maps are ridiculously old and I have notified map share but no additions to mapping and we are talking a major roundabout being added

I logged on to ask the exact same question for a GO500, and I don't see how having a "home" can possibly be a security issue, that's an excuse
It's no 'excuse', and is unrelated to your problem or the OPs... just that anyone who grabs your GPS while you're away from home can assume it's less likely that anyone is at your home.

When I had my Garmin I stood under my carport and made that position my home address, on the TomTom I cant do it and the position is about 50 metres out
Standing under a carport, if it has a metal roof, isn't the best way to get a GPS fix. Unfortunately, these Nav4 units don't give you a relative idea of how good the current fix is, so you wouldn't know if it was a bit rough. Move just outside the carport and wait for the icon to settle on your real position. Then lock it in as Home.

Anyone any idea when map share is going to work with a GO500 in Australia, some maps are ridiculously old and I have notified map share but no additions to mapping and we are talking a major roundabout being added
The best method for notification of errors and changes is here >>> http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/ since that will create change faster than any other reporting means. In the interim, be advised that TomTom is revamping the entire system for providing updated map information to their users, and that in the future, it will be much faster and far more effective.

I don't see how having a "home" can possibly be a security issue,
Nothing to do with TomTom, it's a personal choice.

Pretend you dropped your keys in a shopping centre.
An unsavory person may go out to the parking lot and hit the emergency on your remote fob.
Finding your car to see if there is anything to grab. Seeing the GPS he powers it up and drives to your home, expecting no one to be there and to clean up.

"Just because the whole world is out to get me doesn't mean I'm paranoid."

It's tougher than it should be, but below will work:

- Menu -> MyPlaces -> home
- If you already had a different location set, then tap 3 dots -> edit location (otherwise skip to the next step)
- Search -> tap the upper right circle and change to latitude/longitude
- Type the exact number in the example (the example is your current position)
- Then chose the street that shows in the dropdown list.

Ask a Question