Serial number for stolen TomTom

This applies to my 920, but I'm not sure about your model:

Open the TTGO.BIF file from your backup using notepad or some other text editor. The 4th line should start with "DeviceSerialNumber".

This method worked for my TT One. Ours was stolen last night. Some scumbag broke into my wifes jeep and took it. The car charger was right next to the device, but he didn't take that. Instead he took her phone charger that was plugged in (minus the phone). What an idiot.
Anyway, thanks for the tip. I thought I was SOL trying to find the serial number.

This method worked for my TT One. Ours was stolen last night. Some scumbag broke into my wifes jeep and took it. The car charger was right next to the device, but he didn't take that. Instead he took her phone charger that was plugged in (minus the phone). What an idiot.
Anyway, thanks for the tip. I thought I was SOL trying to find the serial number.
Let this be a lesson to all of us, IF YOU LOVE YOUR TOM TOM, NEVER LEAVE IT IN YOUR CAR!!!

Well if it gets taken, several things can happen. I heard in the newer versions, you can have Tom Tom Buddies. Would that help you track your device down?

Lost/stollen unit

I strongly advise putting a pin on your devices. Yes if you forget your pin you will have to send it back to be unlocked but it is a deterrent and that is less of an inconvienence than the cost of replacing a ?350.00 unit. Recently I was mug enough to leave my unit on the passenger seat of my car with one of the windows opened when parking my car at work. I put a message on my unit with my name, mobile number, and the offer of a reward to any one who finds and returns it. I did not even know it was missing. I got a call from one of the parking attendants to let me know that it was handed in. I'm sure this happened because it was pin protected. There are ways around removing the pin, but a thief who wants to make easy money to service their c**ck habit and sell a unit on swiftly might find the procedures too laborious and time consuming to complete. To be on the safe side put a pin on your trusted friend, never leave it in your car and cerrtainly never leave evidence that you have a sat nav on view in your car.

I strongly advise putting a pin on your devices. Yes if you forget your pin you will have to send it back to be unlocked but it is a deterrent and that is less of an inconvienence than the cost of replacing a ?350.00 unit. Recently I was mug enough to leave my unit on the passenger seat of my car with one of the windows opened when parking my car at work. I put a message on my unit with my name, mobile number, and the offer of a reward to any one who finds and returns it. I did not even know it was missing. I got a call from one of the parking attendants to let me know that it was handed in. I'm sure this happened because it was pin protected. There are ways around removing the pin, but a thief who wants to make easy money to service their c**ck habit and sell a unit on swiftly might find the procedures too laborious and time consuming to complete. To be on the safe side put a pin on your trusted friend, never leave it in your car and cerrtainly never leave evidence that you have a sat nav on view in your car.
Excellent advice!

Register Stolen Device with TomTom

Not all thiefs are smart. If the thief that stole your TomTom tries to register it with TomTom so he can get access to map upgrades and other features then TomTom could report that to the police.

Not all thiefs are smart. If the thief that stole your TomTom tries to register it with TomTom so he can get access to map upgrades and other features then TomTom could report that to the police.

Every person in the world keeps saying this over and over, but people keep saying "maybe" and "maybe" again. The question is, WILL they do this? What will customer care say when you tell them it was stolen? "Ohh well too bad?" Will they really report the serial stolen? Would they give a crap? Do they have the ability to tag a serial number stolen? Have they before? Confirmations?

Once again, TomTom has no method of tracking specific units. They do not keep track of serial numbers or product codes.

If someone stole your unit, they could register it to their own account with no problem. The only instance where they would be blocked is if for some reason customer support requested a Proof of Purchase.

Ask a Question