Safety camera

Can someone please explain to how the safety camera works on the Tomtom 720. Are you suppose to tell the tomtom 720 that there is a camera or does it detect it for you.

Can someone please explain to how the safety camera works on the Tomtom 720. Are you suppose to tell the tomtom 720 that there is a camera or does it detect it for you.

Safety cameras are just a special category of POIs; hence, you need to get this information from somewhere - not for free, generally. And, usually, you'll be getting a subscription, not just a one-time-download, as safety cameras change location quite often and you need to have the info kept up-to-date to do you any good.

Can someone please explain to how the safety camera works on the Tomtom 720.
Sure, as greal said they are basically a special type of POI. TomTom's safety cameras can alert you when you are approaching a camera and you are exceeding the speed limit. They also show you what type of camera it is. You can even report changes to the camera position / speed and report mobile cameras directly from your TomTom.

If you have a European map on your TT, it comes pre-installed with safety cameras for all of Europe. As their database is updated weekly, they allow you to update the pre-installed set once for free using HOME. If you want to continue receiving updates you need to subscribe to their service.

I am guessing you are based in the US. Unfortunately, they don't offer the service in the US, but those with a 920 (with a European map) have all the cameras for Europe at least.

Totom safety cameras

On my TT GO 720 I have the western europe map which came with safety cams installed, these worked well until recently. I used to get voice alerts saying too sfety cam 30 100 yards etc. This has suddenly disappeared and the only option now is a sound. What really annoys me is that TT say this has never been possible even though several friends with the same model had this.

Today after going on to tomtom home I can not upload my mobile numbers.

What is going on ! ! !

Did you recently update your application? I think 8.351 broke the functionality on a 720.

Yes, the current version is 8.351.

Is there any way I can install an older version, I am not interested in new maps every few weeks when the software is being changed at the same time. When I bought this there was the option of spoken instructions in fhe menus. I just don't understand why TT can not just say they have modified the software, most people do not have a problem with changes, only the way they are introduced,

Go here:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.302.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

and download the application.

1. Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden folders/files are showing
2. Delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
3. Use WinRar to extract the files you downloaded and let it overwrite any files on the unit.

The downgrade worked fine. However the retreival of phone book still did not work and the option for instructions via radio is missing. Is there an earlier application or one in between. Many thanks for your help, Terry

It's a catch 22. The missing radio instructions were fixed in 8.351 but brought on other issues.

Do you have a back up of the device on the computer from a point when you had the phone book working?

If so go to the backup using Windows Explorer "contacts" folder and right click the "contacts.txt" file in the folder select COPY, next go to the contacts folder on the device, right click and select PASTE your old contacts list will not be on the TomTom.

If you don't have a backup it is possible to create a text file that the TomTom can use for contacts although depending upon the size of your phone book this might take some time unless you can get the details on to the PC - Mike

No one ever said life was easy. Back to waiting for Tomtom to respond to al their complaints and revise the application yet again.
I have to say that, other than a few niggles, it is an excellent piece of kit.
My friend, who drives thousands of miles every week says he has constant chatter with his satnav and many arguments. Mine simply saves my wife saying yet again *I've just put the map away"
Many thanks for all your efforts, Terry

The downgrade worked fine. However the retreival of phone book still did not work and the option for instructions via radio is missing. Is there an earlier application or one in between. Many thanks for your help, Terry

What version is you map? There are earlier, most stable, applications available. But the earlier applications cannot read older maps. If you post your map version we can recommend the most stable app for you.

720 phonebook retrieval

Sorry about the delay replying. My friend found the answer, tomtom only picks up numbers that are stored on the phone, NOT on the Simcard. I would have thought TT would be aware of this and advise along with all the special offers I receive almost weekly.

I am still looking for the earliest 720 application in an attempt to get back the safety camera voice alerts.
Many thanks for your help.
720 version 8.351
Tried 8.302 but this was just the same

Last edited:
I am still looking for the earliest 720 application in an attempt to get back the safety camera voice alerts.

What is your map version? Depending on your map version I can link you to the oldest/stable app that can read your map.

Also, safety cameras aren't common in the Northeast US so I haven't played around with them much, but it appears to have very customizable features on app 8.351. Have you tried out all the options under PLUS Services -> Safety Cameras? I got mine to play a custom beep when near a camera, and it appears you can set up other customizations like distance, etc.

Ask a Question