Routing Sucks?

I entered a POI destination of Radio Shack knowing where the closest one to my home was and noticed the following errors.

1. It showed the closest one to me as being another one I know of as being 1.5 miles away when it's actually closer to 10.

2. The closest one to me which is actually about 1.5 miles away came up as 6.x miles away and was listed second.

The image below shows where it tried to take me and where it should have taken me marked with a big X, which btw, is in the POI database.

rs.JPG

Question: When I'm in an area that's unfamiliar to me how am I supposed to trust this thing to get me to a POI in a timely manner and not cost me $5 in gas in the process?

If it's going to be driving me 10-15 miles out of the way then it's no good to me, I may as well send it back and get a Garmin.

BTW, is there a way to see the actual street address of a POI?

Last edited:
I hear ya, Lawrence. I'm about to return my TT One to Best Buy as well. I was in a suburb of Salt Lake City (which I am very familiar with) and had it route me to my home in Salt Lake via the fastest route. It had me driving to about two blocks away from the freeway entrance, but instead of putting me on the freeway, it wanted me to take the surface roads south about 5 miles before putting me on the freeway, which is much, much slower than driving the two extra blocks and getting right on the freeway there. So, I told it to give me an alternate route, but it still routed me away from the closest freeway entrance, on an even longer route.

well today i planned a route and when i got to it (i knew i was there) the tomtom go 510 continued to go 500m further. This is with the NA maps v 6.5

I will test the same route with can+us 6.75

I have to disagree here.
You can say that TomTom's POI sucks but not TomTom's routing.
That beast (Go 510) amazed me yesterday.
When I approached home , I realized I needed some groceries so I just continued my way, all along it suggested me new routes - not a single time suggesting an U-turn.
I entered the shopping center, turn it off, made the purchase & left.
When turn on I expected it to tell me to turn right (to continue the last suggested route) but it it told me right away to turn left to the right (& faster) direction home.
If you pinpoint the place you go, TomTom will get you there.
For the POI problem, for the mean time installing custom POI is the only option ... or buy a Garmin.
I'd rather put up with that. I can trade 2 or 3 TomTom's headaches to dozen of Garmin's stupidities

I guess settings are important - make sure you have the fastest route set and use freeways/toll roads on.

In Australia the Garmins tend to route differently and in most cases use congested city streets where as the TomTom does a lot better % wise.

So those that do end up with a Garmin, please do write back truthfully on what works better or what works terrible as feedback.

Ask a Question