Routing: How I can keep MY GPS stay in Canada

When ever I plot the Route from Toronto to Vancouver; Its Routes throughps down South VIA USA then comes back back up to canada.
How I can make my GPS stay with in Canada.
I do understand it might be BEST route. However I do not want to goto VIA USA
GPS GO 730
App # 8.010
Map V 805.1801

Looking on the map visually, the USA route is both the fastest and shortest.

You'll have to do itinerary planning.

Toronto, ON
Thunder Bay, ON
Winnipeg, MB
Vancouver, BC

If you have immigration restrictions and never want to go into the USA, you can use mapshare and block the border crossings (just don't share them). The US path is about 8 hours shorter so you'll have to block a number of border crossings before it works.

Last edited:
After letting the unit plot your route and shows the route summary map, select "find alternative" route and select either "travel via..." or "avoid part of route" to enter a highway number or some other routing info like a city or town that will keep you in Canada.

On the Go730 you can define itinaries.

--pilsit
Yea...... But I was wondering in options I can turn off to entry to US.

Looking on the map visually, the USA route is both the fastest and shortest.

You'll have to do itinerary planning.

Toronto, ON
Thunder Bay, ON
Winnipeg, MB
Vancouver, BC

If you have immigration restrictions and never want to go into the USA, you can use mapshare and block the border crossings (just don't share them). The US path is about 8 hours shorter so you'll have to block a number of border crossings before it works.
I do not know how to block US Border Crossings
Itinnerary is the only way to I think
After letting the unit plot your route and shows the route summary map, select "find alternative" route and select either "travel via..." or "avoid part of route" to enter a highway number or some other routing info like a city or town that will keep you in Canada.

I tried that; Son of Gun Maps me through Quebec because it was set on such fixation I couldn't do whole lot I Tried 3 Boarder Crossing :D

Your only hope may be, if all border crossings are toll roads, to have a planning preference to avoid toll roads.

Yea...... But I was wondering in options I can turn off to entry to US.

I do not know how to block US Border Crossings
Itinnerary is the only way to I think

I'm not aware of any preference/option that you can set to avoid the US. To block border crossings, go to:
Menu -> next screen -> Map Corrections -> Correct a map error -> (un)block street.

You can block (erase) any road you want on the map, so you could erase all the border crossings one at a time. Just don't share the edits so it doesn't pollute other user's maps.

I'm not aware of any preference/option that you can set to avoid the US. To block border crossings, go to:
Menu -> next screen -> Map Corrections -> Correct a map error -> (un)block street.

You can block (erase) any road you want on the map, so you could erase all the border crossings one at a time. Just don't share the edits so it doesn't pollute other user's maps.

I tried but It want Cross Road
I must not be doing RIGHT

I tried but It want Cross Road
I must not be doing RIGHT

After block/unblock street, select "on Map". Then you can point at the exact crossing you want to remove.

You'll have to do this many many times before tomtom routing will be unable to find a route that is shorter than the 8-hour time addition that a Canada-only drive causes.

It may be easier to navigate to Thunder bay, when you get there navigate to Winnipeg, and when you get there navigate to Vancouver.

After block/unblock street, select "on Map". Then you can point at the exact crossing you want to remove.

You'll have to do this many many times before tomtom routing will be unable to find a route that is shorter than the 8-hour time addition that a Canada-only drive causes.

It may be easier to navigate to Thunder bay, when you get there navigate to Winnipeg, and when you get there navigate to Vancouver.

I guess I need to choose T.O. --> Thunderbay --> Winnipeg --> Regina --> Vancouver.
I am using AirPort as POI at every City.

I suppose you could also select to travel by an alternate road and choose the Trans Canada Highway.

I guess I need to choose T.O. --> Thunderbay --> Winnipeg --> Regina --> Vancouver.
I am using AirPort as POI at every City.
I just gave it a try.

Navigate to ...
Address
City centre
Vancouver, BC
(.) Fastest route [ Done ]
Do you need to arrive at a particular time? [ NO ]
Do you want to avoid the toll roads ?
YES
Find alternative
Avoid part of route
Buffalo, NY
YES
Find alternative
Avoid part of route
68.9 km [61]
YES

[ Done ]

50:09 hrs - 4462 km
(original 40:26 hrs - 4392 hrs.

The bridges and tunnels to the US are considered Toll Roads.

As you see, it is very fast to calculate it completely Canadian.

When I go to Chiloquin, OR in June I will take the "fastest" route via Chicago up to Billings, MT and then drop down to Red Lodge and take the Beartooth Hwy (US 212) into Yellowstone (highest paved road in the Americas).
Cheers,

Now I have Blocked to acess Road to US Borders
How I can undo ?
I kow one method ONE by one
Can I just Undo all of my Road blocks one one Click ?

I'd like this feature as well

I regularly travel from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada to mid-Michigan. When I have TomTom calculate my route, it wants to drop me all the way down to Boston, cross back into Canada at Buffalo, and into Michigan at Sarnia. This used to be a good route, but lately the border crossings can take hours if you have bad luck, so I'd like to "avoid" border crossings and reduce the trip to one crossing.

My only current solution is to put in my destination, and then "travel via" Montreal. HOWEVER, whenever I use a POI for a restaurant stop, or route myself around bad traffic or what have you, it loses the "travel via", recalculates my whole route (which is also annoying, if a POI or what have you is on a close exit, you can miss it while it recalculates a route that long), and drops me back down to Boston (especially true on the trip back). Then I have to add in the "via montreal" again after my detour, and the whole recalculate has to happen again.

I've tried using the "Itinerary", but for some reason if you do a "travel via", TomTom is happy to leave me on the highway (as it should) as I go through Montreal. If I set an "Itinerary", my only option is an address in Montreal or "city center", neither of which are what I want.

They either need to add an option to "avoid" borders (other GPS products have this), add multiple waypoints (i.e. don't erase my "via montreal" just because I also want to stop at the next Starbucks for a coffee), or vastly improve the Itinerary feature.

nbhms

PS. As a side note, I find it odd that when I travel from Fredericton to mid Michigan, it gives me the route I mentioned above through the USA. However, if I say travel via Montreal, the newly calculated route is better on all counts - time, distance, etc (and I don't just mean I find it's a shorter trip - after recalculation, the TomTom itself shows me it is the better trip).

It seems to be a little weird.
Google Fredericton, NB to Ann Arbor, MI via I-80 is 1948 km at 19h 50m.
Via Quebec City 1816 km and 20h 16m.

TomTom fastest is via Boston, Albany and Buffalo into Canada and is listed as 17:18 hrs and 1880 km.
Via Quebec City it is 16:30 hrs and 1784 km.

I see two differences on the Canadian route between the two. Firstly Google wants to take the North Shore, Route 40, and TomTom wants to go via Drummondville on the 20 and secondly, Google opts for the 402 and Sarnia (better choice) and TomTom stays on the 401 to Windsor.

Ask a Question