rigging a vent mount

I bought a tomtom XL 330s, and since I live in Calif I can't mount it on my windshield (Not that i'd want to anyway). Anyways, I've been trying to make my own vent clips, but they still incorporate the suction cup, and I don't want that. So I had this idea to take apart the easymount kit (http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=553&AccessoryCategory=5&Tab=0), since it has a ball joint, and rig this; http://www.mogiz.com/pages/productdetails.aspx?productid=14WW in its place. The only problem is that I can't tell whether the balls are the same size. I measured the best i could, and came up with a 15mm diameter. I don't know how accurate this is... and from google searches I believe that the diameter of the garmin mount is 17mm. i could be wrong. Has anyone tried this? or have any opinions? Or more importantly, does anyone know the actual diameter of the ball on the easyport mount kit?

well, I just used calipers to determine the size of the ball... apparently, the easymount kit has a 17mm ball as well. So this garmin vent mount should be perfect. I just ordered it, so we'll see how it works out when I get it. I'm only about 80% sure the garmin mount has a 17mm ball as well. It would be a convenient coincidence.

well it worked - kind of. Turns out the garmin's mount's ball was bigger. I'd say my original measurement was better off. But I sanded and sanded until it fit, and seems to be ok. If anyone cares i'll upload a picture.

here are pics.

carmount1.JPG

carmount3.JPG

carmount4.JPG

carmount5.JPG

carmount6.JPG

Looks nice!

But now you're going to miss out on the whole "fishing around the floorboards for your so-called suction mount" -experience. :D

R?

Ask a Question