Restore GO 730 to complete factory defaults

I bought a GO 730 yesterday. As many people on the forum have noted, they plugged it into the dock and Home immediately did updates. But the updates did not complete properly. Now, I have no maps at all, and my 730 will not do anything other than turn on and tell me there are no maps found.

I have searched the entire forum and searched my entire PC for the downloaded map files etc, and I have tried using Update my Go and all that stuff to no avail. It just keeps telling me the same thing..."Your GO is up to date".

So, how do I get this silly thing back to factory defaults when they don't allow you to download the basic information or software that was bought with the unit??

Oh, and by the way...for those who say that a product # is not required, if you wish to actually register your product on TomTom.com, a product # is in fact necessary. Yet there is no product number included anywhere on the box or in it.

Suggestions???

And before anyone asks...no, I cannot tell you what versions I am using other than Home is the most up-to-date version. The TomTom itself will not go anywhere other than "No Maps Found".

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Darren

I bought a GO 730 yesterday. As many people on the forum have noted, they plugged it into the dock and Home immediately did updates. But the updates did not complete properly. Now, I have no maps at all, and my 730 will not do anything other than turn on and tell me there are no maps found.

I have searched the entire forum and searched my entire PC for the downloaded map files etc, and I have tried using Update my Go and all that stuff to no avail. It just keeps telling me the same thing..."Your GO is up to date".

So, how do I get this silly thing back to factory defaults when they don't allow you to download the basic information or software that was bought with the unit??

Oh, and by the way...for those who say that a product # is not required, if you wish to actually register your product on TomTom.com, a product # is in fact necessary. Yet there is no product number included anywhere on the box or in it.

Suggestions???

And before anyone asks...no, I cannot tell you what versions I am using other than Home is the most up-to-date version. The TomTom itself will not go anywhere other than "No Maps Found".

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Darren

YOu can try the folllowing if you can find your tomtom download folder on your computer. First rename your folder to download old. Then disconnect from home normally. Restart tomtom home again and now see if you can download your map.

To register your unit at tomtom, usually they require that you email tomtom a copy of your purchase receit so they can know the exact purchase date for things like the latest map guarantee. Just call tomtom support at 1866- 4tomtom and get their fax number. See if this can help you.

Hi Doc...

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no download folder related to TomTom at all. Both the software folder itself (TomTom Home 2) and the user folder has nothing related to the suppsed downloaded map.

If I "connect to computer" and then click on "update my Go" it says my Go is up to date (which we know is not true since there are no maps at all.

If I click Add Maps, only the maps to buy are available.

If I go to Items Downloaded On Your Computer, there is only Safety Cameras available.

If I go to "manage my Go" it does not show any maps. Just one map overlay for the USA (I am in Canada).

Last night, I clicked on "back up and restore" and clicked on "restore my device" and let it do its thing for about 5-10 minutes. But the end result was just a copy of what was already on the GPS...no maps.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
D

Doc & dhn,

Thank you both very much for your assistance.

As suggested, I checked my entire drive for the download folder but found nothing. However, I luckily enough was able to restore a backup off the server tapes and find the folder to restore my TomTom to its factory defaults.

I really appreciate your time, as I never did get any response from TomTom themselves.

Happy Holidays!
Darren

The latest maps are a huge improvement over the ones preinstalled on the 730. They're free within 30 days of purchase, and I definitely recommend getting them.

Do you have application version 8.351 and map 840 on your Tomtom? If not:
1) make a backup per these instructions
2) run "update my GO" to download application 8.351. You may have to run it repeatedly before getting 8.351
3) run "manage my GO" and remove all computer voices except for the one you use
4) run "Latest map guarantee" to get map 840

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question