Renew maps or buy new model?

My 720 is still going strong. I'm being asked to pay 50 UK pounds per year for map updates which doesn't make sense when new models are 4 years worth of maps?

Are most people upgrading?
Looking at 5" screen, which is the modern equivalent of the 720 please?

UK use.

Thanks DHN. I guessed they would have moved on.
I take the 720 as middle of the road - I'm quite happy with traffic updates
via the wireless (UK). Is the 500 the similar 'middle of the road' model
in the current crop you pointed to?

regards

I would give your 720 an 80 % rating when new.

Except for the size of the screen, there is no difference between the GO 500 and GO 600.

Although these 'Nav4' seem to hold great promise for the future, the current stage of software refinement cannot hold water to the 720, a 'Nav2' device.

It may not work for you but when my last 930 subscription expired and the offered a renewal at CAD 78 I clicked Reply and posted that it was too much as they still hadn't made map changes I reported 3 years ago.
They then offered the 935 maps for half price.
A week ago they sent me a FINAL offer, dead line Nov 25, for CAD 37.

@dave
Much depends upon which features from your 720 are important to you. It was a VERY robustly featured model (2nd to top of the line, at the time), and some features were never carried forward to the newer versions.
If you can describe what kinds of things you depend upon, we might be able to squeeze you into something new, or maybe not! Lifetime maps certainly make a $ difference when making a selection these days.

For me, key are the audio instructions which take tomtom a notch above
most others, including smartphones.
Alternate routes are 'nice to have'
pre planned routes are nice to have (no more).
~Just basic satnav functionality, I guess I can get used to a new UI.
Arno mentions 'nav4', is that the new software (which seems retrograde
from the reviews I've read).

Davep

The audio instructions of the GO 600 are quite good.

Maybe dhn has an opinion about the lower priced models.

For me, key are the audio instructions which take tomtom a notch above most others, including smartphones. Working well on this new series.
Alternate routes are 'nice to have' Finally getting sorted for this new series
pre planned routes are nice to have (no more). We're still stuck with just 4 points total. MAY get added in a future release of code.
~Just basic satnav functionality, I guess I can get used to a new UI. Takes some adjustment, for sure, but better in some ways than before.
Arno mentions 'nav4', is that the new software (which seems retrograde from the reviews I've read). Yes - your 720 unit is a Nav2, there was an interim generation we call Nav3, and this new generation is Nav4.

Thanks canderson. Appreciated.
Just need to decide betweeen the 500 and 5000 series for UK usage.
Is this explained clearly anywhere? I don't do enough mileage to warrant
paying for traffic / speed cameras.

The primary difference is between an integrated cell modem (5000) and having the unit connect via your own cell phone (500) for data usage (primarily traffic). If you have a cell phone and carrier that support the Bluetooth PAN profile, you can use your phone to access traffic data on the 500. PAN (Personal Area Network) provides a little WiFi hot spot using Bluetooth for the connection. The 5000 talks directly to cell sites to accomplish the same thing, but at a higher cost for the unit.

FWIW, the data hit to your cell plan if using the 500 is not bad at all, even in areas with regularly pretty thick traffic.

Understood. Re cost? I pay for data usage if I link via my cell phone. Do I again pay for data if using the 5000 series, i.e. all bandwidth used for traffic etc? or is there some other arrangement in place? Again, sorry to sound thick, just unclear on this.
If it's 'prepayed' in the cost of the device, I think the 5000 is worthwhile. For me, it's not with the 500.

I'm assuming the 720 mode, traffic news via the UK radio, is no longer in use on either model? Is that correct?

Dave

I'm not sure what the current price structure is for the 'connected' 5000 and 6000 units in the UK. Using TomTom's site at full retail, it looks like about £80 additional to get the either the 5000 or 6000. Data costs are built into that additional price.

The Live traffic that comes with any of these models is far more precise and covers many more roads than the older FM RDS-TMC method. Note, however, that there are certain 500 and 600 models that not only use the phone (PAN Bluetooth) for a connection, but have RDS-TMC capability as well. Also, some 500 and 600 models include ASR (speech recognition) and some do not. So that you can be sure if shopping in a brick and mortar outfit, I've run across the following different units - the two letter serial number prefix is included for each:

500 models
Serial prefix QI = Phone connect using BT PAN or TMC capable, no ASR
Serial prefix QT = Phone connect using BT PAN or TMC capable, has ASR
Serial prefix QJ = Phone connect using BT PAN, not TMC capable, has ASR

600 models
Serial prefix QE = Phone connect using BT PAN or TMC capable, no ASR
Serial prefix QF = Phone connect using BT PAN, not TMC capable, no ASR
Serial prefix QW = Phone connect using BT PAN, not TMC capable, has ASR

I do not know if it applies to all, but several Nav4 devices cannot be used for phone dialing as was possible before.

Wow. Thanks for the detail. I'm smiling as I ask the Amazon seller for the serial number prefix of the model he's selling :)
In summary then, the x000 models have 'free' traffic information for life (at better detail) at the increased cost, and some x00 models have TMS traffic information.

Thanks very much. I'm tending towards the 5000 - simply so I can see out of the windscreen of my car!

Dave P

Just sure we are clear: All of the 500 and 600 models, and 5000 and 6000 models all have Live traffic capability. Again, the difference is that the former use a bit of data using your own cell phone for connectivity, though not much, and the latter have their own cellular connections. SOME of the 500 and 600 models have the lesser quality RDS-TMC traffic.

While your 720 is/was a dandy unit, I jumped on the 740 Live just to get the higher quality traffic. I think you'll be impressed with the improvement no matter how you get there.

The differentiator for me is the 'free' (once you've bought the 5000 unit) traffic info?
I don't have a cell phone plan, so would pay for any traffic? Not worth it for me, whereas
the extra 50 pounds or so (IMHO) is a good investment, for the info provided, as you say.
For me, my cell phone is for outgoing emy use only.

Again, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Canderson - You, DHN, Arno, and the others are a wealth of knowledge about these things.

We would otherwise have had no clue about major differences within the same model number. To me, a gps with tmc & cellular data access, & voice recognition all together is a much improved device.

On the TT website, the Go500 is described as having cellular traffic data access and speech recognition, but I found no mention of the tmc - rds system.
Are the versions currently being manufactured the ones with all three of these features?

The new ones have some really great features and functions!

Now if only they would include the same functionality I have on my old 540 TM, which came with free lifetime maps, traffic, and access to speed camera database, (which I have been contributing to for years,) ability to add POI's, intineraries, backup the system, etc etc.

- Compatibility with google map searches allowing me to search on google and then access the location on my TT.
And since the new gps units can already talk to a smartphone, being able to google for something on my phone, then get directions to it on my TT would not only be very convenient, but would make the units more competitive with the google maps app.​

Ah well, in time, in time....

I guess we are pointing to Tomtom not being very good at marketing, which is a shame,
I am really quite sold on their products, but have learned more here than from
their own website, which is ... odd.

pe2dave, I feel bad for the people at Tomtom in a lot of ways. They've no doubt worked very hard for many years to develop an awesome system that works very well. But the marketplace for technology is cruel. Waze pops up and turns into a 2 billion

It seems they have been under tremendous pressure to get new products on the shelves - products that were not fully ready as others have said here.

And you're right, this website is a wealth of information about TT and their products. It is also, in a way, a barometer of customer loyalty. A lot of us really like our Tomtom products. Looking at the newer units, I wonder if TT has a sense of their existing base of loyal customers - of what those customers want.

Re RDS TMC Traffic on Go 500 /600 series:

Is this feature enabled on US models, or is it still only enabled on the models sold in Germany?

Might this be a firmware change that will catch up to all purchasers of the Go 500 / 600 series?

Ask a Question