Regional Maps vs US & Canada Maps

Hi, I've been using my TomTom GO 510 for a few months now, and I just have the US & Canada map that came on it. While checking out updates, I see that I can get regional maps for just my region (New England). Are the regional maps much more detailed, and if so are they worth it? The US & Canada maps seem pretty detailed to me.

Also, will a regional map come with more / updated POIs? Thanks!

-Robert

Regional maps are section maps of the North America map.
Since the North America map is more detail than the US_Canada map then that regional map will be better than your current map.

Thanks

Thanks! But is it more detailed enough to make much of a difference? The extra map is pretty expensive...

-Robert

I would only consider a change if you are having serious problems with your present maps. It is a lot of money and you may or may not see much difference.

Or why not wait a few months for an even more recent map update.

I have the same question, but I'm hoping someone with experience with the regional map(s) could lend a little more insight.

I do have issues with the USA & Canada map -- I occasionally notice significant inaccuracies -- newer streets are often not on the map. Since I rarely travel out of my area (included in the "US - Midwest" regional map), it would be worth it to me if the regional map is indeed more accurate.

Can anyone offer any advice? The price does seem a little steep, but I'd be willing to spend the $80 or so, as long as the downloaded map was more accurate. I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to be significantly different, though.

Can anyone offer any advice? The price does seem a little steep, but I'd be willing to spend the $80 or so, as long as the downloaded map was more accurate. I don't want to spend the money if it's not going to be significantly different, though.
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that your model is limited to a 1 gig sd card and, as well, the tomtom system files as well as the map must be on the card for the unit to read the map data.

If indeed I'm correct about the size limitation, then that limitation also will restrict your choice of maps. I do understand that a regional map would be smaller in size that the entire USA & Canada map.

What others do to try to make a comparison is put out a call here for assistance: list a location address you are NOT seeing on your USA & Canada map and ask others here with either the regional map or the NA Map 7.10 (of which the regional map is a part) whether the address is locatable on their map.

That may help you decide.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that your model is limited to a 1 gig sd card and, as well, the tomtom system files as well as the map must be on the card for the unit to read the map data.

This is not the case. I have a 2GB SDCard in my OneXL-S, which gives me plenty of room for extra maps. The system files and US/Canada maps take up about only about 1GB.

Am I right in assuming that the regional map can coexist with the US-Canada map without a problem?

SShadow, do you have any of the regional maps on your XL-S? If so, do you consider them worth the considerable pricetag?

One other question, that just occurred to me --

Will I receive map updates for the regional map (if I decide to purchase it) the same way I get updates for the big US & Canada map?

Sorry, I do not have any of the regional maps on mine. But I believe the regional maps are made off of the North America map, which CAN be more detailed than USA & Can map (shading that resembles buildings, water ways are more accurate, more POI, and in some cases the roads are slightly more accurate as well).
And yes, for a limited time (not sure what the time period is... 30 days, like the Map Guarentee that came with the XLS?) you will be able to receive updated maps, if an update is released. You will also be able to participate with MapShare.

SShadow, do you have any of the regional maps on your XL-S? If so, do you consider them worth the considerable pricetag?

On many occasions i've had my One , and now my 720 running at the same time as my Axim PPC loaded with regional maps. I've yet to really see much of a difference.

So i'd stick with what ya got

Ask a Question