RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver & I'm new here! :)

Hi! Everyone! :)

I am new here and I asked this question at several different forums (non-related) which I belong to but than I realized that I should try and see if I can find a TomTom forum. So I did a search and I found this forum.

So here's my question...

I just got myself a TomTom One XLS. I heard those are one of the best. I know there are others that is good too.

Anyway, it can receive traffic information though monthly payments though Bluetooth (Cellphone) or I can get myself an antenna for it and get it for free.

I noticed the antenna, RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver, cost around $100. So before I get the antenna, I just wondering if there's a way to make one for cheaper or if there's a compatible antenna that will work for cheaper.

I doubt that there any others you could use, and it took TomTom over a year to get these receivers working right over here - so making one on the cheap does not sound possible.

As for the receiver, they originally advertised them here in the US also as free service for life. they changed that as the receivers came out to only one year of free service.

If you have a data plan on a carrier like ATT, T-Mobile, etc. and a device that is compatible with TomTom's data service (like traffic) and you will b maintaining that plan, a better alternative is going with the bluetooth/wireless service.

Depending where you live, work, and travel, the receiver service has limited coverage. Coverage by wireless carriers with strong enough signal for data is many times greater.

I doubt that there any others you could use, and it took TomTom over a year to get these receivers working right over here - so making one on the cheap does not sound possible.

Darn, I was afraid of that.

GAW said:
As for the receiver, they originally advertised them here in the US also as free service for life. they changed that as the receivers came out to only one year of free service.

hmmm... did not know that...

GAW said:
If you have a data plan on a carrier like ATT, T-Mobile, etc. and a device that is compatible with TomTom's data service (like traffic) and you will b maintaining that plan, a better alternative is going with the bluetooth/wireless service.

Yes, I do have data plan on my Blackberry 8100 with T-mobile. I take it that the Bluetooth on TomTom is there so you can connect it to your cell phone to get traffic updates. Right?

GAW said:
Depending where you live, work, and travel, the receiver service has limited coverage. Coverage by wireless carriers with strong enough signal for data is many times greater.

Do you know how reliable the FM antenna is for the Los Angeles County? That's what I will use it mostly for.

Yes, I do have data plan on my Blackberry 8100 with T-mobile. I take it that the Bluetooth on TomTom is there so you can connect it to your cell phone to get traffic updates. Right?

Hey Secrecguy,

If you get it working with your Pearl let me know. I also have a Pearl 8100. I tried everything to get it working without any luck. The Tomtom and Pearl make the Bluetooth connection but, the Tomtom does not find the data flow. Maybe you can find something I didn't.

Keep us informed. PM me or whatever.

Hey Secrecguy,

If you get it working with your Pearl let me know. I also have a Pearl 8100. I tried everything to get it working without any luck. The Tomtom and Pearl make the Bluetooth connection but, the Tomtom does not find the data flow. Maybe you can find something I didn't.

Keep us informed. PM me or whatever.

ok... I will... but mostly likely, I am going to post a question here on how to do it. I take it that you already asked this question here already, right?

ok... I will... but mostly likely, I am going to post a question here on how to do it. I take it that you already asked this question here already, right?

Found a thread somewhere...on the setup.

I have not called Tmo yet but at this point I think it has something to do with the encryption on the BB. Maybe a little too secure.

I have not tried my old T809 or wifes Samsung yet.

I have paired a Blackberry Pearl 8120 for hands free and data by specifying the Pearl 8100 in the setup wizard twice with no problems.

Also, traffic receiver worked pretty good in the LA basin (to close to Palm Springs). However, if you were headed back from there or beyond or from the Central Valley, you would have no warnings until you got close to the LA area if you relied on the receiver.

I was using both services until TomTom cut off the bluetooth free trial extensions.

I have paired a Blackberry Pearl 8120 for hands free and data by specifying the Pearl 8100 in the setup wizard twice with no problems.

Setup Wizard? In the One XL phone setup I did not have a Blackberry selection at all. Am I mssing something?

Setup Wizard? In the One XL phone setup I did not have a Blackberry selection at all. Am I mssing something?

I don't know - I have set it up on a 910 (old) and a refurb 720. Do you have recently updated app on your device ? I would be surprised if TT simply left it off the XL.

Ask a Question