Quickfix doesn't seem to be working anymore

TomTom Model(s)
Is anyone else having problems with the quickfix not seeming to work? For about a week now my 720 has been acting like it does not have a quickfix. I have successfully updated the quickfix both using the wireless update, and through Home on my PC, but it is still taking 1 to 2 minutes to find the satellites. Just wondering if this is a current problem, or specific to my 720 before I do a more troubleshooting.

Quick fix

I have a 720 also and have the same problem. Always picked up the signal almost instantly. Now it sometimes takes 2 or 3 min. Been that way for almost a week. Any help out there?

From time to time, TT has problems with the QuickGPSFix ephemeris files. When you get the bad one, you have issues acquiring the satellites.
I've deleted the /ephem directory a long time ago. While the device takes a bit more time to acquire the sats before driving, I never again had any issue. The device is just running correctly without the QuickGPSFix.
These only permit to acquire the sats more rapidly. However, when the acquisition is done, you don't need the QuickGPSFix.

--pilsit

Also having problems. Quickgpsfix identifys a location quickly, but its about a mile off. After 2-3 minutes the "real" ephemeris comes in from the satellites and it locks onto the correct location.

Tomtom's definitely got a bug in their ephemeris. Anyone in europe having problems? Maybe the US military redrifted their satellietes differently in europe and the US and tomtom synced ephemeris positions in europe. They may not even know that the US is out of drift.

We should call/email support. With enough emails they'll realize there's an issue (if they don't already know).

Also having problems. Quickgpsfix identifys a location quickly, but its about a mile off. After 2-3 minutes the "real" ephemeris comes in from the satellites and it locks onto the correct location.

Tomtom's definitely got a bug in their ephemeris. Anyone in europe having problems? Maybe the US military redrifted their satellietes differently in europe and the US and tomtom synced ephemeris positions in europe. They may not even know that the US is out of drift.

We should call/email support. With enough emails they'll realize there's an issue (if they don't already know).

I've been having this problem for long time.
As I said here many time, I must sacrify either "take long time, 2 or 3 minutes and get correct location" or "take much less time, 5 to 30 seconds and get 1/2 miles off"

i just got mines and was wondering if it was only me. im getting the same issue. this is sad

forget about all that. Only delete the /ephem directory and the TT works well.
I'm not using the /ephem directory (the QuickGPSFix) since over one year, and have never had problems with the sat acquisition.

--pilsit

Odd. Using TomTom Home, we'd get a new QuickFix file to upload to our One XL every week, but we have not received a single QuickFix update in 2009, although we continue to get MapShare updates.:confused:

Ask a Question