Question: How to dynamically re-route to avoid traffic jam?

After encountering a major traffic jam last night, I decided it might be time to purchase a GPS device. After a little bit of research, it looks like the TomTom One / TomTom One XL might be a good choice.

Let's say I'm on an Interstate and I hear on the news about a major traffic jam due to an accident or construction up ahead on my route. How do I specify to the TomTom to avoid that section of the Interstate? This actually happened to me last night. I pulled off the interstate right before the jam but I had trouble finding the road a few blocks away which ran parallel to the Interstate. If I had the right GPS device, it would have taken me just a couple of minutes to find the alternate route instead of me pulling over to look at a map which wasn't detailed enough, and stopping to ask a couple people for help!

Would appreciate it if someone could explain, step by step, what they would do with the TomTom One/XL in this type of situation.

THANKS in advance for your help!

Either you keep driving, as long as you know the way around a bit or use the 'Avoid road' option, TomTom may present you a list of names ... choosing the wrong one doesn't help, because TomTom might route you back, especially the one you are taking happen to be the main highway, or insterstate.
To get 'freestyle' driving mode, you cannot use waypoints, just the destination.

Yep. If you have a route planned, then click:

Find Alternative --> Avoid Roadblock --> then choose the distance you want to avoid (100m, 500m, 2000m, 5000m).

Ask a Question