POI Icon

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1005
Hi all - I need to change an icon associated with a OV2 file I downloaded to my device as it is all blurry and looks corrupted. I've downloaded a new icon but marrying it with my POI file seems elusive. Any advice would be helpful.
Device is a Go Live 1005

The POI icon needs to be a .bmp file with the same name as the .ov2 data file.

So you'd have mypoi.ov2 and mypoi.bmp.

One thing that can confuse people is that Windows often "helpfully" hides the extensions of the file types it knows about, so you might accidentally rename the file to "mypoi.bmp.bmp".
To check that, in Windows Explorer, go to the Tools menu / Folder options / View tab, and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types".

----

As for the original being blurry and corrupted, TomTom have been mucking about with icon sizes on the new models and the re-sizing it does can corrupt them.
IIRC, the original 22x22 pixel icons need to be resized manually to 24x24 (although larger sizes are possible too)
To resize them, the easiest way is to open it in a paint program and make the "paper" larger rather than "resampling" it larger, if that makes any sense to you?

Any chance you could upload the original icon for us to have a look at?

:)

Hi Andy_P,
Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. After spending all afternoon with the device thanks to your help, I've now achieved what I wanted which was a nice Caravan picture icon in the POI categories and the same icon on the map location. The problem was a combination of incompatible file name and picture size.

As an added 'bonus' .. if you do not want the box to surround your icon, you can fill in all of the background space with solid red (red 255, green 0, blue 0) and that will create a 'transparent' icon where the background of the map will show through the 'unused' portions of the box.

Actually, for NAV3 models, TT "broke" the transparency feature for icons a while back, and haven't fixed it yet.

It doesn't work on the map with the most-used icon sizes (22x22 and 24x24 pixels), but it does for larger sizes.

attachment.php

And it doesn't work properlyon the menu screens with ANY size!

attachment.php

(The numbers are actually clearer than that, but I could only upload .jpgs)

Attachments

• Transparent_icons_NAV3_1.jpg
    Transparent_icons_NAV3_1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Transparent_icons_NAV3_2.jpg
    Transparent_icons_NAV3_2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,949
Transparent icons are working just fine for me, Andy. I'm using them on both my GO 1535 Live (5" screen) and my Via 1605 (6" screen) at 25 (easy to change a 24 to a 25! I'd recommend that instead of 24 to the OP) and 44 pixels respectively.

At this moment, I'm unwilling to pull either unit out of the car for a demo shot (it's so cold I'd never get them to stick to my dash again!), but I should be able to scare up one or two here somewhere from past bug reporting...

The first is off my GO 1535, taken in October. The screen dimmed when taking the shot, but you can clearly see that the two smiley icons with the red lines across them have no frames. However, the red lines have a tiny bit of blue to make sure they stay red and don't 'disappear'.

The second is off my Via 1605 which happened to be in 2D mode at the time. Numerous custom POI icons on this one, all 'transparent' as expected.

I'm attaching one sample of each of the 25x25 and 44x44 here for you to play with just in case.

I agree, though, that they don't show up as transparent in the POI category list. Doubt they ever will!

Attachments

• Malley Error 1.jpg
    Malley Error 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 648
  • Inccrrect Start Point 4.jpg
    Inccrrect Start Point 4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 616
  • Traditional44.bmp
    5.7 KB · Views: 566
  • Traditional25.bmp
    1.9 KB · Views: 568
Transparent icons are working just fine for me, Andy. I'm using them on both my GO 1535 Live (5" screen) and my Via 1605 (6" screen) at 25 (easy to change a 24 to a 25! I'd recommend that instead of 24 to the OP) and 44 pixels respectively.

Yup, I knew that....:)

In my first pic. (of a NAV3 model) there are 22x22, 24x24, 25x25 and 44x44 icons in transparent and non-transparent versions.
22 and 24 don't work properly for transparency, 25 and 44 do (and all sizes in-between IIRC).

------------------

On NAV2, (v9.465) it's now even odder....
22x22 - squashed and corrupted - no transparency, shows grey background
24x24 - no transparency - shows red background
25x25 - no transparency, shows grey background
44x44 - shrunk to 25x25 (unless you use the "_X2" filename), no transparency, shows grey background.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Transparent_icons_NAV2_1.JPG
    Transparent_icons_NAV2_1.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,835
Like you, I also have had no recent success with Nav2 transparency, regardless of frame size. No amount of tweaking seems to make that work now. At least with the Nav3 devices, just bumping things to 25x25 works. No such luck on Nav2.

Ask a Question