POI Icon on Map - Via 1605

TomTom Model(s)
TT VIA 1605
I have a new Via 1605 and loaded my personal POI's + their bmp images that I had on my old GO 720. I have the icons set up to show on the map, but the screen only shows red boxes on the maps, instead of their images. I have played with the recommended sizes for the images, but the issue persists.

If I set up a proximity warning for a POI category, then the correct image shows with the warning on the upper left corner of the screen, but the icons on the map still show as red boxes. Please help. Thank you,

Have you loaded both the *.ov2 and *.bmp files at the same time using Add Community Content (the must both be selected for upload to the unit -- selecting only the *.ov2 won't load both files)? Red squares are the default when there's no valid *.bmp file associated with the *.ov2 file. The MyTomTom approach is quite different vs. the old Home method.

To see what is actually loaded on your unit, you can use this URL to view the internal content: http://169.254.255.1/personal/
Select POI from the menu that pops up, and see what's there in the way of POI and icon files.

Further to the above... the .bmp icons do need to be added in the Add POI section in MyTomtom, NOT the "Add images" section.
so long as they have exactly the same name as the POI files, eg:

Bloggs_supermarket.ov2 and
Bloggs_supermarket.bmp

....then they SHOULD show on the map

EDIT:
Ah hang on.. I'm not reading your question correctly!
If you ARE seeing them in the top corner with the "warn when near", but not seeingthem correctly on the map view, then it DOES sound like an icon SIZE (or resolution) issue.

There was a software change a while back and IIRC, then there were some problems caused by it with the old 22x22 icons.
I did quite a bit of research on the issue at the time, but I'm at work at the moment and cannot check my notes (lousy memory!)

If you can easily change the icon size to 24x24 then try that, otherwise I'll have a look when I can and get back to you. (please reply here, so it appears as a new post, to remind me!)

Last edited:
@Andy
One other detail I darned near forgot.
The FIRST time I have added POIs to a new Nav3 unit, the unit had to be rebooted before the icons would appear as expected on the map. It's been quite a while, but I wonder if that is still true?

Well ... I resized the POI images to 24x24, reloaded them together with their corresponding ov2 files, and then rebooted the unit, and the issue was resolved :thumb:

Not sure which step did the trick, but I really appreciate your help and the quick responses to my initial posting.

For the 1605, you will likely want to size them as 44x44 if you think they look a bit puny on the screen now.

I ind they get in the way if they are that big on the normal map display!

At last a resolution to my problem. :thumb:
When I first tried loading POI's couple of years back the TT techs could find no problem and basicaly said it was something I was doing wrong.
As an experiment I changed the offending icons on my Via125 to both 24x24 and 20x20 and both worked.

@Hurricane
The Via 1605 has a much higher resolution screen than any of the other TomTom models, and is therefore capable of using icons of substantially larger size than the Via 125 while still giving the same visual size appearance of the smaller icons on older units. Given that the screen resolution on the Via 1605 is approximately 66% higher than the usual 480x272, icons that are larger make sense for most of us.

@Hurricane
The Via 1605 has a much higher resolution screen than any of the other TomTom models, and is therefore capable of using icons of substantially larger size than the Via 125 while still giving the same visual size appearance of the smaller icons on older units. Given that the screen resolution on the Via 1605 is approximately 66% higher than the usual 480x272, icons that are larger make sense for most of us.

The issue is that sometimes TT's will not display a 22x22 icon correctly, a member on OAL found this thread and altered the icons on his XXL, I have now done the same on my Via125, in both cases this has meant instead of a map full of red squares we now have the correctly displayed icons. This was after TT techs told me that the files I supplied where perfectly ok and I was doing something wrong when loading them. Now the odd thing is one of the files I loaded, archies europe, has 22x22 icon but displayed correctly, but all the C&CC icons did not, I wonder if it is something to do with the pixels per inch, but I've not checked that.
btw at the time I also posted my problem on here (lost my original username) and was also told it was me.

btw at the time I also posted my problem on here (lost my original username) and was also told it was me.

Depends how long ago it was.... All the problems with 22x22 icons (and also icon transparency failing) began with a fairly recent software update.

On my NAV2 software units, existing 22x22 icons ARE showing, but the graphics are scrambled and distorted. Any size larger than 24x24 is "scaled down" by the software, so it doesn't look any larger.
Also icons with "full red" backgrounds should be transparent, but it no longer works properly for ANY size and in the 24x24 size it doesn't even turn grey.

Pic below shows two sets of different sized test icons that I made to show TomTom the problem. The top row are normal, the bottom row should be transparent, but none are...

attachment.php

For comparison, here's what the same icons look like on a NAV3 model such as the Go1000, showing thay have problems too, but different ones!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Transparent_icons_NAV2_1.JPG
    Transparent_icons_NAV2_1.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 957
  • Transparent_icons_NAV3_1.jpg
    Transparent_icons_NAV3_1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 836

Ask a Question