poi.dat sizes between North America maps and USA Canada Mexico -huge difference -why?

sizes of poi.dat :

North_America_850.2781 185 MB (194,837,248 bytes)

North_America_P_840.2568 292 MB (305,739,052 Bytes)

USA_Canada_Mexico_P_845.2670 289 MB (303,150,022 bytes)

All those POI databases work with 8.4xx navcores and I tested that poi.dat
from USA_Canada_Mexico_P_845_2670 works with North_America_850.2781 map

On my device 140S (IQ routes) - and AFAIK on all other x40 devices - the standard navcore software
doesn't display "POI details" button and so the file crpoi.dat (where the"details" are supposedly stored)
is of no use and can be deleted (the size of that file also differs between those map versions).

The Q is - North_America_850.2781 is "full version map" so POI database is supposed to be "better".
Does anybody know if this is really so?

If "yes" - why the "smaller POI database" resides in a file that is 100MB larger?
"Algorithm change" would not likely explain 30% difference in database size.

The "brands" folder for maps of both sizes (190 MB and 290 MB) is almost identical -
so the number of categories should be the same.

Did anybody test POI databases of both sizes?
Any difference? :)

In fact, not sure the 850.2781 is the full version map. That one is offered only to those with 920 or 930 units.

Those with 720 or 730 or anybody else only gets the NA_2GB map with the reduced poi set.

Those with 720 or 730 or anybody else only gets the NA_2GB map with the reduced poi set.

What is (approximately) the size of poi.dat file from the NA_2GB map?

And - also the 'full POI database" from NA 835 map posted here is also about 190 MB in size.
But North_America_P series maps and USA_Canada_Mexico_P series
have poi.dat of about 290 MB.

The Q is simple : which database has more POI ? - one with size 190 MB or 290 MB?
If the smaller one has more POI - that is just funny - OR implies drastically different
compression method.

Which reminds me -- has anyone posted a DL link for the "large" POI file for N.A. recently? Owning a 720, I'm still getting the little one with map updates and replacing it with an older 9XX series POI, but it's a bit dated now.

I would positively love to get the "Full" poi database for my 730. I am using an external 8GB SD card filled mostly with MP3s. I would not mind giving up some space for the larger POI database. I have been using the full 835 POI database that Pedro posted earlier.

I've found the same level of POIs on the 190mb North America map as on the 300mb maps.

However the 300mb maps have duplicates. For example Costco is listed under, Shop, car repair, and restaurant in some instances.

The North America 2gb map is missing lots of POI, and is only about 100mb.

Tomtom no longer recommends purchase of the North_America_2gb map for the GO 7xx series. It recommends the USA map, as that map has a full POI set and fits on the 2gb memory of the GO 7xx models.

Tomtom no longer recommends purchase of the North_America_2gb map for the GO 7xx series. It recommends the USA map, as that map has a full POI set and fits on the 2gb memory of the GO 7xx models

Not that I've noticed. Both the US and Canadian sites still offer up the NA_2GB map for the 730 series.

Not that I've noticed. Both the US and Canadian sites still offer up the NA_2GB map for the 730 series.

Tomtom's very indecisive.

Every few weeks, "USA" becomes the recommended map. Then the next few weeks "North America 2GB" becomes the recommended map. You're right that this week it's "North America 2GB".

Tomtom's very indecisive.

Every few weeks, "USA" becomes the recommended map. Then the next few weeks "North America 2GB" becomes the recommended map. You're right that this week it's "North America 2GB".

Raises couple of interesting observations since my 2month old TT Go 740TM Live came delivered with lifetime North America Map subscription (US/Cdn).

1. Always thought Mexico was part of NA.
2. If TT keeps waffeling, and settles on US alone, what would be impact on my map subscription?
3. Why don't they get smart and deliver the 740 with an 4gb microsd card installed and default map installation to the card or build the 740 with 4-6gb on board. Either case, possible $0.75 cost impact to them.

Think of the marketing coup!

Chuck

2. If TT keeps waffeling, and settles on US alone, what would be impact on my map subscription?

The recommendation is just a recommendation. You can still buy either map.

I assume that if you're unit came with the lifetime North_America_2GB subscription, you'll continue to get North_America_2GB forever.

But given the new "splitting map" changes that occurred in Europe, there's a chance you'll get to dynamically choose: North_America full (requiring an SD card), USA-only, or Canada-only in a future quarter.

In europe now, if you buy a Europe map, you end up with 5 maps: Europe full, Europe north, Europe South, Europe East, and Europe west. And you can swap them out at any time.

3. Why don't they get smart and deliver the 740 with an 4gb microsd card installed and default map installation to the card or build the 740 with 4-6gb on board. Either case, possible $0.75 cost impact to them.

You know, I've been begging for an American 940 release for over a year now. It has lots of things that are missing on the 740 (music/fm/ept), not to mention 4gb space.

Last edited:

Ask a Question