please help

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540-TM
i have the tomtom 540-tm, i have never updated the maps and am not computer savy. when i tried to update i quickly realized all the info i originally had is now gone. I have tried off and on for months now with no success. I believe i have the correct tomtom home downloaded but now when i connect my device it says "your memory card is write protected please remove write protection DesktopLib/volume/write protected" this seems like a foreign language to me and i am desperate to be able to use my devise again PLEASE if anyone can help me id really appreciate it

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds

Also, have you EVER backed up your unit, either using Home or any other method?

And I know you said you have never updated the maps, but did you, by any chance, take advantage of the "Latest Map Guarantee" when you first got your unit to get the map up to the then-current level?

Does the XL540 have an external memory card? If it uses a full-sized SD card then they have a physical slide switch memory lock on the side

Negative, Andy. No external memory slot for the XXL540. If you buy the WTE version, it comes with more internal memory. That's what's so weird about the message. The OS is claiming that it can't write to the device itself.

That's what's so weird about the message. The OS is claiming that it can't write to the device itself.

Totally off-topic, but oddly related....
My new phone has some internal memory, which it's own file manager refers to as an "SD card".
The SD card that I have added myself is called the "Ext. card".

That caused me LOTS of confusion until I worked it out!

Ask a Question