Plan route on PC and transfer to PDA?

TomTom Model(s)
Navigator 6 (PocketPC)
What I'd like to do is plan my trip/route on my PC and then be able to transfer routes and/or waypoints to Navigator on my PDA. Right now, Navigator 6 and the current version of TT Home does does not allow or support this. Perhaps Navigator v7 will offer this, or maybe HOME v2.0 will add this capability? :confused:

Does anyone know if or when this functionality might be added?

What I'd like to do is plan my trip/route on my PC and then be able to transfer routes and/or waypoints to Navigator on my PDA. Right now, Navigator 6 and the current version of TT Home does does not allow or support this. Perhaps Navigator v7 will offer this, or maybe HOME v2.0 will add this capability? :confused:

The problem with that is there currently is no desktop counterpart to the TomTom Navigator. Although the GO models can do this, it cannot do it without having the GO connected to the desktop (so you're basically using the GO software and seeing a the maps via a GO emulator of sorts).

This is a requirement of other PDA navigation software (like DeLorme), because the routing function on those products is impossibly slow for anything other than the shortest trips (like around the block will take two solid minutes to route). One of the biggest features of TomTom is its fast, on-PDA routing.

I don't see them ever creating a desktop version of TomTom, but I could be wrong in that guess.

The problem with that is there currently is no desktop counterpart to the TomTom Navigator. Although the GO models can do this, it cannot do it without having the GO connected to the desktop (so you're basically using the GO software and seeing a the maps via a GO emulator of sorts).
Well, there is TomTom HOME desktop software which is a component of the GO series, and also for the Navigator software. So maybe it's just the HOME software that might need updating to accomplish this for the Navigator software?

I wouldn't have any issues needing to connect the PDA with Navigator to the PC to create trip routes and such, becuase it's much easier to plan complex trip routes and such on the PC.

This is a requirement of other PDA navigation software (like DeLorme), because the routing function on those products is impossibly slow for anything other than the shortest trips (like around the block will take two solid minutes to route). One of the biggest features of TomTom is its fast, on-PDA routing.
Garmin's Mobile XT PDA software and Mapsource desktop software have this functionality, and the Garmin Mobile XT software is also quite fast in on-PDA routing. The problem for me with Garmin's Mobile XT software is the requirement for a Garmin GPS receiver. My HTC Advantage has a built-in GPS receiver which I'd prefer to use with GMXT but can't, TT Navigator works just fine however. And I also prefer TT Navigator's display of traffic issues in comparison to Garmin.

Now if I only had the ability to do trip planning and routing on the PC and transfer to PDA, I could use TomTom exclusively as my PDA GPS software. :) Where as right now I have both on my PDA.

But if Garmin updates their PDA software to remove the Garmin GPS receiver requirement, and TomTom does nothing to add PC --> PDA routing then the Garmin software may just have to stay, even though I prefer TT Navigator's PDA functionality. Because I do a lot of motorcyle trip planning, the PC requirement is a must for me.

Well, there is TomTom HOME desktop software which is a component of the GO series, and also for the Navigator software. So maybe it's just the HOME software that might need updating to accomplish this for the Navigator software?

I wouldn't have any issues needing to connect the PDA with Navigator to the PC to create trip routes and such, becuase it's much easier to plan complex trip routes and such on the PC.

The way the Home software works with the GO is the PC is basically used as a dumb terminal and all the horsepower, software, etc., is completely dependent on the GO device. My point was that you basically wouldn't be getting anything more out of the software (bigger display, faster routing, etc.) that you would if you just used the GO.

Garmin's Mobile XT PDA software and Mapsource desktop software have this functionality, and the Garmin Mobile XT software is also quite fast in on-PDA routing. The problem for me with Garmin's Mobile XT software is the requirement for a Garmin GPS receiver. My HTC Advantage has a built-in GPS receiver which I'd prefer to use with GMXT but can't, TT Navigator works just fine however. And I also prefer TT Navigator's display of traffic issues in comparison to Garmin.

Now if I only had the ability to do trip planning and routing on the PC and transfer to PDA, I could use TomTom exclusively as my PDA GPS software. :) Where as right now I have both on my PDA.

But if Garmin updates their PDA software to remove the Garmin GPS receiver requirement, and TomTom does nothing to add PC --> PDA routing then the Garmin software may just have to stay, even though I prefer TT Navigator's PDA functionality. Because I do a lot of motorcyle trip planning, the PC requirement is a must for me.

Garmin has had that hardware requirement for years now -- I don't see that going away any time soon. I also think that TomTom is likely having a problem with WindowsMobile and PalmOS for proving the same functionality as the GO devices via Home. TomTom Navigator for Palm (and WindowsMobile) has always been the red-headed step-child compared to the GO's (which is TomTom's bread and butter). There have always been limitations in the PDA based products when compared to the all-in-one GO devices.

Man, I'm just a big, fat pessimist, aren't I? All doom and gloom for your issue! Haha. They may do something about it, but just judging by the past history with Navigator, I wouldn't hold my breath. In the end, they'd really like to see everyone on a GO. For example, to TomTom your best solution would be......? Yup, get yourself a TomTom Rider (a GO for motocycles). Haha.

I saw something on Google maps where you can plan a route and then tranfer the waypoints to your GPS device.

You can use Google Earth & Tyre to plan Itinaries for TomToms.
I just played with this, and it works quite well. v5 of Tyre now allows you to use Google Maps in addition to/or Google Earth. Nice! :) The only downside I see is that for the Navigator software, you need to manually transfer any itineraries over to the device.

So it is impossible to send an .itn file to an iphone and have the tom tom app utilise the route right?
Please tell me I am wrong :)

The TomTom iPhone app doesn't support Itinerarys so even if you got the itn file on the iPhone (which involves Jail Breaking the phone and using third party software to transfer the file) it still wouldn't at all - Mike

Ask a Question