Password does not work

TomTom Model(s)
GO 710
:mad: Hi,
It looks like I have a problem to which I can't find the answer. Last week I updated my maps, yesterday when I needed to use my Go 750, I could not get past the password. So, I logged on with TomTom Home and tried to reset my password onder 'Set User'.
I received the very helpful message to goto 'Set User' while not connected to my PC.
Unfortunately, the password is needed to get to 'Set User'.
There must be a simple solution somewhere because this happened once before under similar circumstances, and a guy in Halfords freed it up for me in a couple of ticks.
HELP!! Please??

Last edited by a moderator:
Alas -- understand our reticence to provide that information here. We have no way of knowing whether the device is yours or whether you just knicked it from your neighbor's driveway. Because of this, we've maintained a policy of not describing measures that can circumvent the password.

I'd be fascinated (offline, mind you) to know how anyone at Halfords was able to accomplish this 'in a couple of ticks'.

I can understand that.....

Hi, canderson,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.I have had my Go 710 for about 5 years now.
Thats is all well and god, but what happens now? I have emailed TomTom but, as yet, I have had no reply. Does this mean I have to send it away and pay lots of dosh to have it unlocked? If this is the case it will go straight into the bin and I'll buy a Garmin!
How do I know that the latest map download did not have a problem?
Stay well and be happy!
Brian.
(e-mail address removed) removed for privacy ~~ mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
to canderson,

PS. If I knew what the guy in Halfords did I'd tell you, I have no idea save that he did the unlock in a very shour time...I may hve exagerated when I said a 'couple of ticks', but it was certainly less than 10 minutes!.

Cheers!
Brian

E-Mail to TomTom sometimes requires a bit of patience. By ANY chance do you have any of the documents that indicate your purchase of the 710? Yes, I know, that's eons ago, but could go a long way to getting some assistance.

FWIW, I've never heard of a map update causing a password to be set when there previously was none, or causing one to be changed if there was.

Out of curiosity, how did you get into this particular ditch the first time (if it was clear at the time) that caused you to make the trip back to Halfords the first time around?

Hi again, and thanks for coming back to me. I purchased this unit from PC World in Plymouth some years ago. I guess I could go to them and see if they can help. Unfortunately, as soon as something is out of warranty, I tend to get rid of paperwork.
Th history of the last episode is also rather strange. We were up in North Wales and, for some reason best known to itslf, the unit refused my password...most frutrating as we were on a break.
I took it into Halfords as they were TomTom agents, and the guy there unlocked it.
That is all I can tell you. It was working fine prior to my last map update.
Tomorrow I shall try and restore from TomTom Home.
Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

Kind regards

Brian Laseby

I too attempted to log in to My Tomtom last night with the same email and password I used to create the account when I purchased the unit. It would not allow me in. I know that the log in was correct because I write them on a piece of paper and tape it to the unit. I also write it in pencil inside the box. still waiting for Tomtom's email response. Tomtom also gave me a weird map update. This was a 1505 which I have owned for about 6 months. It showed a new map was available and upgraded me from 8,65 to 8.80. The latter is by no means the newest map. Sort of puzzled my it but I also welcome the chance to have free newer maps. I was not entitled to any upgrade that I know of.

@redrock3. I think that's a different issue.

You're talking about your account name and password, but I THINK the OP is talking about the optional 4-digit password to lock the unit itself in case it gets stolen.

If the TT servers are not accepting your user-name, then they may just be having problems, that's not unusual!

@Tamarbri... Is that right? It's the four-digit security lock you're having problems with?

4 digit Code

Yes Andy P,

That is my problem, I can go online with TT no probs.
As I said before, if I have to throw money at TomTom I'll go elsewhere, they love your money but deliver precious little support! :mad:

Hmmm They've had less than 48 hours to reply to your email.

But maybe a phone call would be better, at least then you'd get an instant idea of whether they are going to help. Make sure you have some proof of purchase (such as original till receipts) that you can scan and send to them if they ask.

Unfortunately, as 'canderson' said, the whole reason for that password is to stop someone who's stolen your device being able to use it, so it would be self-defeating if it was simple to circumvent it.

Hi Guys,

I have just received a reply from TT. My GO 710 is a Legacy device, (whatever that means), and, as such, is no longer supported by phone, email, or chat.
Wonderful! However, if I pay £85 plus VAT, I can have it rpaired! But, my beef is this, the unit was working well prior to my last map update, now, I don't know what was in that update, but something stopped my unit from working immediately after the update.

Well, I think I'd rather throw the money at Garmin, in light of the non support from TT.
It would seem that my yearly map update has gone for a Burton.
I believe that Garmin are offering a 2425 with free map updates..........
Nice knowing you guys....and thanks for your time!
Stay well and be HAPPY!

Locked GO 710.

Andy P and canderson, Thanks for all your advice, the phone call did help.
All is now well and I could kick myself for not realising how stupidly simple (in theory) the solution was. I can see now, why you queried the length of time the Halford's guy took! He must have been lucky!! It took me ages.
A great guy named Will pointed me t the solution.

Cheers and thanks again,
Brian

Dunnit!

Andy P and canderson, thanks, my problem has been resolved. It took me a fair while but the result was brilliant, I now have a 'CLEAN' GO 710. Will from TT pointed me to the URL.
Thanks for your advice, and patience.

I'm glad that you've got that sorted, Tamabri. Yes, in 'principle' the solution is pretty straightforward, but it does take some time. Now that you've seen the process, you can understand why I was surprised that anyone at Halfords was in a position to help you the first time, much less do it quickly.

I suspect that the age (and hence, market value) of the device is what prompted the person at TT to go ahead and assist you with the procedure. As the value of a unit this old is quite low, in a way, it really makes sense.

I'm still mystified as to how a map update would have had anything to do with this, though. A map update should never touch the area of memory that is involved with password protection of a device. One of those flukes, I guess.

Ask a Question