One XLS Battery Replacement?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL S
Just ordered an XL*S from Costco ($249) but haven't received it yet. Was looking at the expected battery life and rather dismayed by the 2 hour estimate. Wondering if there is a Lithium Polymer replacement available. Also wondering about how easy the unit is to disconnect from the windshield. I travel quite a bit and use rental cars so being able to mount and dismount the unit quickly is an issue. Thanks for any assistance.

Battery life/suction mount

I was worried about the battery life also, but when you have a power cord, and a power outlet in a vehicle, it's really not an issue. I have used my ONE for three hours before I absolutely had to plug it in. I use my ONE in different vehicles all the time, and find that the suction cup mount is both easy to use, and convenient to switch from car to car. Good luck! :cool:

Thanks for the quick reply. Really looking forward to getting my first GPS.

Was just thinking about it - since it's programable and is charged via the usb while plugged into a computer, longer battery life probably isn't necessary. The main reason for worrying about the mount was the mad dash at the airport when returning a rental car. Will need to remember to put the mount in my suitcase, or maybe get one of those smaller vent mounts so it'll fit in my briefcase.

Last edited:
Just ordered an XL*S from Costco ($249) but haven't received it yet. Was looking at the expected battery life and rather dismayed by the 2 hour estimate. Wondering if there is a Lithium Polymer replacement available. Also wondering about how easy the unit is to disconnect from the windshield. I travel quite a bit and use rental cars so being able to mount and dismount the unit quickly is an issue. Thanks for any assistance.

I travel most every week, the battery lasts long enough to get me to and from most airports. I have a TTone, but I think it's the same battery? While visiting customers I always use the power cord. I bought a second one a Comp USA. It's a car lighter plug with a USB adapter, nice because I need to carry only one USB cable.

The real trick is to not forget the suction mount in the rental car, :( if you do call them right away. Avis has been good about finding mine and mailing it back. :D

Thanks to both of you for your advice. The charger and power issue just got me thinking about the extra cords I'll now need to pack. Dang - wish some of these were interchangeable! My laptop bag is allready overstuffed :rolleyes:

if it is like any other tomtom mount, then it should fall off the windshield every 5 to 10 kilometers automatically.

if it is like any other tomtom mount, then it should fall off the windshield every 5 to 10 kilometers automatically.

Good to know that getting it off the windshield won't be a problem then.;) But I did order the vent mount in the hopes that it'll be easier to remove and stow.

Thanks for the link but my motorola phone connector isn't mini-usb. Although that is definately a consideration when choosing the next mobile device.

I'd suggest the iGo system for you road warriors. I've got it for my laptop, Cellphone (Treo 650), wife's Razr, Nintendo DS, iPod. Basically you buy one power brick (the one I have is air/auto/AC) and he tips for your devices. It's just 1 thing to carry that comes with a carrying pouch.

You can charge up to 2 low current devices - Tomtom and cellphone at once + a laptop. What I do is charge everything up at night and then things are fresh in the AM. Would work great if you typically don't drive more than a couple hours a day. Also would help keep the cords to pack down.

Only downside was the price (IIRC it was $129 for the brick) and that they don't have a tip for the wife's MacBook yet. Other than that, I highly recommend it.

Ask a Question