No space to update? go530

TomTom Model(s)
go 530
Sorry all,

I have comitted the cardinal sin of asking for help on a forum without checking the details.

The model number of my tomtom is the go530 not the 920 as previously stated.

Hi guys,

I have a go 530 which a couple of years ago I bought the Central European map SD card for. This is now rather out of date but when I try to update it shows I don't have enough free space even when I have deleted all unnecessary voices icons etc.

Is there a solution to this? I am concerned about loosing the map if I play around with it too much as an out of date map is better than no map at all (and I am off to Le Mans on Wednesday).

Thanks

Tom

Further apologies,

Tom

The 530 has only 1GB of internal memory, so it's no wonder you're having issues. However, the 530 also has room for the SD card, and the advice remains the same as per the 920 discussion. The 530 will take up to a 32GB (gross overkill!) SD card, so you can make room as necessary for maps.

BUT: Just so that we are clear, you purchased the SD card from TomTom with a map preinstalled?

Thanks for the reply.

The SD card came from tomtom with the map pre-installed. Can I back up this onto my pc and then put it back onto a larger SD card? Does the blank card have to be tomtom branded?

Tom

This is just slightly trickier than normal.

Normally when you buy a new map by download, the map is locked to the device you have downloaded it onto.
That means you can simply copy the map to wherever you like - internal memory, a new SD card, onto or off your PC, anything.

However, as I understand it, a map bought on an SD card (like your Central Europe map) is locked to the serial number of the card itself, so that card can be used in any TomTom, but cannot be copied to another card. It can be backd up onto your PC, but only copied back to the same SD card.

However, that's PROBABLY not a problem. It all depends what you mean when you say "when I try to update".
Do you mean you have bought an update to the map, or just that you are trying to download the free MapShare updates for the old map?

If you have bought an update to the map, then as far as I know, you have simply bought a whole new map. That has nothing to do with your old map, so you can take it out, put it in a drawer and go ahead installing the new map download to a new SD card.

However, if you are trying to install MapShare updates to the original map, then you need to free up some space on the card itself. Normally voices, car icons etc. won't be on the card at all, so deleting them off the TomTom internal memory won't help.

If yo can be a bit more specific in what sort of update you are trying to do, we can expand on the info for that particular job.

It is the MapShare updates I am trying to install and you are correct, deleting voices and icons didn't help.

Is it worth trying to contact tomtom to see if they would give me access to the downloadable version of the map I bought on the card which I could then load it onto a different SD card?

Thanks,

Tom

Broken internal memory

I think the internal memory of the device myst be broken as it is not visible when I plug it into a computer (mac or PC) and the unit will not function without it. I tried downloading a flashing tool which didn't do anything helpful.

I spent the journey to and from france finding many roundabouts and sections of road that did not exist on the satnav but fortunately the art of reading signposts is not entirely lost.

Does anyone know if it is possible to fix this?

tomtom go530

hi, when i press my on off button and keep it pressed it takes me to a black screen with white writing, on the 14 line where it says start up mode next to it it says power down and some times it says sleep, is this normal, or is it telling me why my tomtom is not booting up, any suggestions.please help?

That is the Diagnostic screen you are describing and 'sleep' is not relevant to why your 530 is not booting up.

Have you used the reset hole on the bottom of the unit?

hi, i have reseted it, flushed it, used my old back up, tried memory card, updated it, nothing is helping, it all happened after updating my go530, it will not boot up after the druming noise, any suggestions?

i have formated many times, checked for errors, backed it up from cd which was my first backup done on cd when i bought the tomtom.,also checked for hidden files which is ticked? it just wont boot up.

That model has a sd card slot, I believe.

Get a 4 gb sdhc (not sd) card, the faster (class 6+) the better.

Then, once you have an Explorer, not Home, backup, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Insert the 4 GB card into the card slot. Connect to Home You should be asked whether to use internal or external memory storage, select external.

Then download the application that should be offered and it should install on the card.

Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if it boots up now.

That model has a sd card slot, I believe.

Get a 4 gb sdhc (not sd) card, the faster (class 6+) the better.

Then, once you have an Explorer, not Home, backup, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Insert the 4 GB card into the card slot. Connect to Home You should be asked whether to use internal or external memory storage, select external.

Then download the application that should be offered and it should install on the card.

Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if it boots up now.

hi, i have tried all that, no joy, i am just wondering weather it is a component failure inside, may be a fuse or resistor, i dont know without a circuit diagram.

If you can get to the diagnostics screen, it's not going to be a fuse or component failure.

You replied very quickly to say you had tried everything dhn suggested on a new SD card... What happened when you connected to Home? Did it offer, and install, a new application?

Not booting

Hi, I did a clean install, when I connect to home it checks for update and come up with updates for me to install which I did, I tried on 4 gb hdhc card also with no joy, while connecting to computer and using home and clicking operate my device I have no problem in operating my device, I can go in to menu, navigate, plan a route etc, etc. as soon as disconnect it from computer it will not boot up and freeze on tomtom logo, reset doesn't help,

So, the operating system files (like ttsystem, etc.) ARE on the sdhc card when you boot up the machine?

not booting

hi, yes all the ttsystem and all the rest of the files are on my sdhc card, also i tried my first backup on my memory card with all the files its still the same.

Use Explorer and look at the contents of the sdhc card. Is there a folder called statdata? If so, delete it. See if the unit boots now.

Ask a Question