No longer able to talk to GO 730 :(

I updated to the new 9400 software, and now have lost all ability to talk to my device as I always could before. The font to access it is gone. Any guidelines, suggestions or help to fix this problem is greatly appreciated....THANKS!!!!!!

What font are you referring to? Do you have a computer voice selected?

My 720 with the app update .......

Navigate to-->next screen shows both active icons for 'spoken address' and 'spoken address (dialog)'

yes I have the computer voice ( I had to get it from my backup), but I used to be able to push the icon for speech to text, and my unit would ask me..city...street...and number and I could speak to it and get my destination all set up with ONLY ONE touch of the screen. But now it's all gone :( There are no selections for Spoken Address in my Navigate section. So "Speech Recognition is what I need to restore somehow. I found a post on Google that referred to it only being available on US models, so maybe this upgrade is not US version or something....has anyone else upgraded and maintained their SR????

Last edited:
Try this.......

Do a manual route selection by making sure the country (Canada) is selected, then carry through with the rest of the screens.

Once done, try again and see if the icons are active.

Thanks DTN....after doing this:

You MUST have North America map version 7.10 AND you MUST have firmware version for the unit 2.221 to make the feature work.

IF you have them, then you create a text file (use notepad) called support_asr.dat that contains JUST the number 1. No other spaces, carriage returns or anything.

Place this file in your ASR folder on the unit.

You'll be good to go ... this is of course assuming your unit is a TomTom 720.

Now, on the unit, Navigate to-->Address-->Spoken Word (Dialogue).

AND then as you suggested above, I now have the 2 choices for Spoken Address, BUT I still do not have the VR icon on the screen to allow one touch operation....also without it, I cannot access the VR for commands such as: clear route, change daylight, etc.......still looking though ;) THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@notdeadyet
No, it is not necessary to have an antique map (710?!?) and the 720 never shipped with any firmware less than 7.221 which may be what you meant. However, your correction of adding the support_asr.dat file is 100% correct. That gives an X20 model the ability of the x30 models for speech input. You lost that file during the upgrade since it's not part of the 'standard' 720 load.

thanks.....a bit of overkill on the copy/paste....just figured it meant "at least" that version ;) Still no luck replacing the VR icon on the unit desktop, so back to original version I guess, cause that icon is critical for me in my taxi work, and on to fixing the forced update issue as I've read on site as well.

Sorry dhn about the dtn ;)

so after restoring my GO 730 back to the 9101 navcore, I realize it's the "comand and control" option that is missing with the new 9400 update, and NO WHERE to be found....maybe an oversight on TomTom's part??? But did manage to update WITHOUT the forced 9400 upgrade ;)

I'm going to fiddle my 720 to see if I have any similar issues. Gimme a couple here...

Hmmm.. my support_asr.dat file is right where I left it before the change from 8.351 to 9.400. Did not have to recreate it. The "Navigate to spoken address" is still available in the "Quick menu preferences" and the feature to navigate to a spoken address still works fine.

I was going to ask if 'notdeadyet' had checked his Quickmenu preferences.....

Re:GO 720 lost voice input after update
Hi Andy_P. - Moderator
As suggested, I have checked unit and cannot find csspeech_xx.dat. Must have gone "walkies" after map and system update! Is there anyway to get these files back?
BTW, where can I find the current map version as loaded on the device so I can give you the map details as well.

Last edited:
I was going to ask if 'notdeadyet' had checked his Quickmenu preferences.....

YES, I did find the VR in the quickmenu, but the problem was no VR (microphone) icon on the GPS desktop, and no command and control preferences in the set up any longer....and that's a big problem for me as I need a ONE TOUCH working system ;)
I've had mine set up with 9101 for quite awhile, which I believe the new 9400 is based on anyway (2d/3d, etc), so it will do for now till TT can fix the command and control issue with 9400...Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

Re:GO 720 lost voice input after update
Hi Andy_P. - Moderator
As suggested, I have checked unit and cannot find csspeech_xx.dat. Must have gone "walkies" after map and system update! Is there anyway to get these files back?

Have you ever made any backups? That's the easy way.
My cspeech_GBR.dat in my earliest Western Europe map folder on my earliest Go940 backup is 15.6 MB and the cspeech_IRL.dat is about 1.8MB

BTW, where can I find the current map version as loaded on the device so I can give you the map details as well.

On the old software, you tap the signal strength bars, then on the next screen you tap the small box with the software version number.
That gives you a full screen of text showing the full software version number and build and the version number of the CURRENTLY SELECTED map.

On new models and software, there's a button in the menus to get to the same screen.
It has moved around quite a lot and been renamed several times though!
For most models with more than one page to the main menu, it's on the last page.
For models with only one page of main menu, it's usually on the last page of the "Change Preferences" or "Settings" menu.

It will be called SOMETHING like "Version information", but you may have to go through a menu item called "Me and my Device" to get there.

Thanks Andy for taking the time to get back to me.

I have found the following info:-
Device AK8AC BALT2
Australian map - ver 885.4021.
App 9.400.851694.1 OS 802398
(1020, 1/2/2012)

Backup; Unfortunately I have used TomTom Home for backup without realising that my unit was not working properly after update and that is probly the reason I cannot firnd the required files.
Mind you, all my problems started after the advised TomTomHome, Map and Operating System upodate.

After these updates I was getting TomTomHome runtime.exe errors. They have been fixed by reloading s/w etc as directed by the TomTom Australian Helpdesk. They still seem to be at a loss why my voice navigation does not work anymore.

So in a nutshell, TomTomHome Backup must only keep the most recent copy. More the pity!
Back to the drawing board…L

Last edited:
So I guess you are looking for something like a "cspeech_AUS.dat" file (or some similar name)

Can anyone with an Australian map oblige?

Annoyingly, I *do* have an Australia v880.3808 map, but it's on a Go1015, so there's no way to get at the contents.

Hi Andy
Must have been having "a senior moment". I had another look under the"Australia" directory and I have a file called "cspeech_AU.dat. File size 13.329 KB.

So....not sure what's next.....

And you are sure there is a text file called support_asr.dat in the ASR folder with nothing in it but a 1. No spaces, carriage returns, nothing else. Also, the extension MUST be .dat, not .dat.txt (ensure extension for known file types is NOT hidden).

Hi dhn,

Yes support_asr.dat file is in the ASR folder with the value of 1

Not sure if I explained problem properly in the first place, i.e. no "spoken adress" and "spoken adress dialog" icon.

Cheers,
Tom.

You did .... I'm grasping at straws........

Listen, you can try to revert to this:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

which was the last official release prior to the new one for the 720.

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your current unit's contents.

Then delete the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or contents.

Use Winrar to expand the contents of the compressed app I provided the link for.

Hi dhn,

Well, now it is getting a bit too complicated for an old fart like me:)

Managed to copy the contents of the 720 without problems.

Not sure about the next step.Downloaded the file and tried to extract it, not sure about using the extract program.

Bit worried that I might "brick" the 720 after deleting the contents of the 720. Beside VR, the unit is working fine at the moment.

Will keep persevering with the Australian support desk and they might be able to talk me through setup, re-installing s/ware, maps etc..

So, in the meantime, thank you all for your assistance and will keep you posted of any further developments.

Ask a Question