Newbie ONE 3rd Edition Full Map Back-up

Hi...

Recently joined, and as a result of browsing through the forums have found answers to several problems, one being the un-initiated start-up... but thats for another day, at the moment I'm reformating and doing a finder back-up (Mac)... once formated, as I understand it, I copy the folder 'Western_Europe_1GB' back into the TomTom... the question is... having purchased Map updates, is the original file actually updated, and not just a patch.

Hope that makes some kind of sense... I dont want to copy back the Map only to find I'm back to the original Map purchased with the unit which dont include a years worth of updates.

Many thanks

Whoa!!

Yes, it's an excellent idea to do an Explorer (or, in your case, Finder) backup of your unit's contents when you first get the unit and after major updates (firmware and maps) but why are you now formatting the unit ???

A new map is a new map period. It might contain some MapShare corrections but certainly not all so you might find yourself having to re-enter the corrections you have made on your own device even with a new map. It isn't the old map with a few corrections thrown in the new map is exactly what it says "a new map"

As David has said Formatting the device is a tad drastic and not something I would advise you do unless you have a very valid reason for it - Mike

Whoa!!

Yes, it's an excellent idea to do an Explorer (or, in your case, Finder) backup of your unit's contents when you first get the unit and after major updates (firmware and maps) but why are you now formatting the unit ???
that was quick..lol

The TT seems to take much longer to start then it used to... but also I cant and never have been able to use the 'Operate my One' function... it goes thru the process, gets to the start screen.. presents me with the "problem with map - You cant use this map on this device' yet as mentioned in earlier post its the original, plus updates... and reading threads on your very informative forum, and only have used 'Home' to back-up and restore felt it prudent to start with a clean system .

A new map is a new map period. It might contain some MapShare corrections but certainly not all so you might find yourself having to re-enter the corrections you have made on your own device even with a new map. It isn't the old map with a few corrections thrown in the new map is exactly what it says "a new map"

As David has said Formatting the device is a tad drastic and not something I would advise you do unless you have a very valid reason for it - Mike
Hi Mike and David

Thanks for the prompt reply, the initial reason for doing the back-up was having done a complete rebuild of my laptop I hadnt kept the original backup files. So this was an appropriate time to complete a clean up on the TT... and having read that HOME.. was not, as it seams the best option.

You seemed concerned about reformating Is there a problem with doing this?....

As you have a full back up of the device there is no harm in formatting the TomTom, I tend to err on the side of caution with new forum members when the suggest a format to ensure they really know what they are doing! - If you are 100% confident you have a copy of the files taken from the device while it was working feel free to format the unit and re-load everything - Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Thanks for your concern, everything reloaded and glad to say no problems... not sure about the TT starting up on its own... have to wait and see about that...

Many thanks for your help.

The inability of Operate my ONE to work is probably because you have app 8.014 preinstalled. Operate my ONE never worked on that app. You can do these steps to downgrade to 8.010, but you'll lose the ability to use an RDS-TMC receiver if you downgrade.

Regarding the auto-turn-on, app 8.0xx will turn on exactly one week after powered off. There's currently no fix for the bug, and knowing how old the One 3rd Edition is I doubt Tomtom will ever fix it on that model. Newer models with newer apps don't have that problem.

Ask a Question