New XL Live, long delay acquiring gps signal..HELP!

Hi there, first post :)

My new XL IQ Live (UK) arrived yesterday and I used it straight away on a journey (before updating anything) and it acquired a good GPS signal within seconds and I was on my way. Great.

Got it home, backed it up in explorer, and updated using the latest version of tomtom home. Again no problems, I updated everything available (not maps), and then took a backup using tomtom home after the changes.

I went to use the device again this morning, but it wouldn't get a GPS signal at all, I drove all the way to work with no signal (although it did update the HD traffic just fine), then I turned it off a few times in the car-park, and eventually I got a signal.

What's going on guys? :confused:

Welcome to TTF.

Hope you made a backup (Explorer) of your unit's contents when you first took it out of the box.

To get a gps signal on the unit, it's best to make sure the unit is in an open area and in a stationary position. It's not unusual to perhaps take a couple of minutes to grab the signal.

Also, perhaps one of the updated files you downloaded was a gpsquickfix file with some wonky data. That would slow down signal acquisition.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Yes I have an explorer backup just in case. I actually just went into the Live menu option and selected QuickGPSFix from there, it did an update and connected the GPS immediately. I think the TomTom Home GPSFix update is for the wrong region or is corrupt, but the Live services one is correct.

Could someone please confirm how often the live services Quick GPSFix updates, and is this an automatic process (without connecting to TT Home)

Thanks.

Could someone please confirm how often the live services Quick GPSFix updates, and is this an automatic process (without connecting to TT Home)

Thanks.
Can't speak to the "Live" service, but it should be comparable to what you get with the hardwired connection. The files are good for about a week, and have internal expiry dates so that your unit knows whether it's time for a new one (except rarely, when that breaks). You'll need to either manually invoke the option from the menu item on your unit, or from Home when it advises an update is available. Again, once a week seems to be the rule on the useful longevity of the data, so a weekly connection is warranted.

Ask a Question