New GO730 out of room :(

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
I just hooked up a newly purchased GO730 to the computer, did the basic HOME updates and was able to use the latest map upgrade to dload the NA maps and about an hour and a half in I get the error:

"There is not enough free space on your TomTom deivce to install the item. You need to remove 1.8 MB."

Does this make sense with a new unit?

update:

Through windows explorer I saw that the existing mp3 folder was over 100 megs. So I inserted a 2 gig SD card into the 730 and made a mp3 folder in it and moved all 110 megs over to it. I then reconnected to TomTom Home and began again the dload and install of the latest map upgrades to internal memory. We will see what happens now. But so far so good.

Is my solution the way to go?

Last edited:
It is if everyting fits.

And I hope you made a complete backup of your unit using Explorer prior to accepting any upgrades of anything ...

It is if everyting fits.

And I hope you made a complete backup of your unit using Explorer prior to accepting any upgrades of anything ...

I did backup using windows explorer and Home.

But how will I know if I need to revert to the original configuration it and then begin again?

Right now it is redloading the latest maps...about 45 minutes left.

If all fits what is the latest map version # for NA maps for a 730?

And does it make sense that I would have run out of room from the beginning?

Your 730 is smart and will use the internal memory and the SD card memory simultaneously.

After your backup, you could either:
Delete the map your unit came with to make room for the new map or
Cut and Paste the old map into your SD card to make room on the internal memory for the download.

The latest map for the x30 series is the North America 805.1801.

You ran out of room because your internal memory cannot hold 2 maps: your old map and the new one it is trying to download.

Good luck.

Your 730 is smart and will use the internal memory and the SD card memory simultaneously.

The latest map for the x30 series is the North America 805.1801.

You ran out of room because your internal memory cannot hold 2 maps: your old map and the new one it is trying to download.

Good luck.

Thansk for the reply Pedro.

I am confused.

All I did prior to redloading the 805.1810 maps was to move all the mp3 to the SD Card (over 100 meg). I did nothing with the existing map. And then I redloaded. It went on fine this time and checking with windows explorer, the SD card appear to have only the mp3 folder that I created. I assumed that newer NA map just overwrote the 'outdated' one within the internal memory :confused: . Do I have this wrong? If so should/could something be deleted?

(I see after the HOME update I have version 8.010 with maps 805.1801)

You worry too much :)

It sounds as if everything went smoothly this time. It is annoying that with all the associated crud that accompanies new maps and firmware, it's getting almost impossible to load into internal storage all that is supposed to go there.

There is evidence that TomTom is stripping some poi's out of its custom file just to save some space as well as doing other things to get maps to fit now.

Thansk for the reply Pedro.

I am confused.

All I did prior to redloading the 805.1810 maps was to move all the mp3 to the SD Card (over 100 meg). I did nothing with the existing map. And then I redloaded. It went on fine this time and checking with windows explorer, the SD card appear to have only the mp3 folder that I created. I assumed that newer NA map just overwrote the 'outdated' one within the internal memory :confused: . Do I have this wrong? If so should/could something be deleted?

(I see after the HOME update I have version 8.010 with maps 805.1801)
On your other post, I provided the instructions how to get your 8 SD card to be recognized.
Hopefully this will help provide you with the room you need.

Wellllll........ that's nice to know !!!

I had NO IDEA and have never seen that feature mentioned before. With all flavors of flash memory priced so low, everyone should have at least a 2 gigger crammed in their slot. [steamy]

i'd love to see the integration of microSD as well, especially since the SD slots are being held off of the lower-end models to save space.

Ok......Just did this.

went to Home and said "use my latest map guarantee". it showed that 720.1803 was ready and waiting. Hit the download and waited.......maybe 20 mins on cable......and then Home started the install immediately. Another 15-20 minutes of copying "etc" and it said your new map is installed.

Of course I had backed up first but I had not removed the old map. Home replaced my old map with the new..minus the speech files and it removed or should say replaced my 920 POI's with the ones in the new map. It did leave my car icon alone. So I had more room in the internal memory than before.

After seeing there were no speech files copied, I copied and pasted them from the zip download. Then added the "1" in the ASR folder and all worked well. VR is alive.

Next I checked the POI's and found they had been replaced also. So I copied them from the backup and put them in their respective folders. When I got done, I had 1.8 MB left on the internal storage. I deleted the state speech files that I won't need now (can always copy them back in) and now have about 250 MB free.

I'm thinking now that I should just cut and paste everything to the card as it is almost empty. Then I can add any POI's, apps, etc that I want.

Anyway......This is how TT is doing it on a 720 through Home 2.3. Be sure to go back and look for your additions after the new map is in and you will have to copy the speech files if you want VR. This is probly covered somewhere......but maybe not.

Good Luck
Bob

Ask a Question