New 730T: POI Questions?

Hi Guys,

Tried out my 730T yesterday. When I searched for Orchard Supply Hardware, a list of them comes up BUT the one that is only a mile from my house shows up 4th in the list as 4 miles away. The real problem is that the first one on the list says 1.3 mi away and it is way across town (8 miles or so)

If I pick the first one and it routes it, *then* it knows that it is 6.8 miles away.

My home location is accurate on the screen but it's acting like I'm somewhere else!

BTW, this is with full sat strength.

thx

bob

Well, the distance listings are: 1) from your current location and 2) as the crow flies, not driving distance.

Well, the distance listings are: 1) from your current location and 2) as the crow flies, not driving distance.

Thanks, but it still doesn't make sense.

As the crow flies, the one nearest my home is 6 times closer than the one the TT says is closest!

How do you explain that?

thx!

bob

Hi Guys,

Tried out my 730T yesterday. When I searched for Orchard Supply Hardware, a list of them comes up BUT the one that is only a mile from my house shows up 4th in the list as 4 miles away. The real problem is that the first one on the list says 1.3 mi away and it is way across town (8 miles or so)

If I pick the first one and it routes it, *then* it knows that it is 6.8 miles away.

My home location is accurate on the screen but it's acting like I'm somewhere else!

BTW, this is with full sat strength.

thx

bob

How did you search for the POI? You have several choices. You can find it in a city or near your current location or near home or near destination (if on a route). If you search on the POI using 'In City" then the distance to the POI will be referenced from the city center not your home location.

How did you search for the POI? You have several choices. You can find it in a city or near your current location or near home or near destination (if on a route). If you search on the POI using 'In City" then the distance to the POI will be referenced from the city center not your home location.

Hi Spook,

I searched POI near me (Home).

Funny thing is now it's showing up at .85 miles like it should. Because When I found it out of order and routed to it. It "learned" that?

Thx

bob

I'm not aware of the Tomtom learning like that. Most likely the Tomtom thought you were in a different place than you really were because:

1) you turned off the Tomtom somewhere else, and upon turning it on it hadn't picked up a signal yet, so it found POI near your old location, or
2) you did a route demo. In route demo mode all the functionality in all menus acts like you are at the demo location.

Ask a Question