MyTomTom on a Mac

Hi all

Ive recently installed mytomtom on my macbook, after connecting my Go1005 to download and install updates I keep getting asked to enter my admin password:

"type your password to allow mytomtomsa to make changes"

this is happening every 5 seconds, is there a way to stop this or do I have to revert back to my PC instead, personally I'd prefer to use my Mac

Regards

Mort
:mad::mad::mad:

Hi Mort,

I have exactly the same problem with MyTomTomSA on my mac. I bought a new tomtom today, and after installing the software on my Mac and connecting the TomTom, my computer keeps asking for the password to allow MyTomTomSA to make changes. Did you already manage to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Joost

Add me to the list

Yep, same exact problem here. MyTomTom incorrectly recognizes my 2505 as a 1005, fails to connect to Tom Tom and also pops up the MyTomTomSA password prompt to make changes over and over and over again.

There's this neat thing.. it's called "testing".

My guess is that MyTomtom is attempting a type of network access that the Mac considers suspicious or virus-like. Therefore the Mac continues to ask for your password to authorize it.

I'm not familiar with Macs, is there a way to permanently authorize the MyTomtom software so that the MacOS doesn't prompt you?

Also, I'd suggest calling Tomtom phone support, they may already know of a fix. If so, please post it here so it can help others.

Had the same problem today when installing MyTomTom on a iMac. Like my MacBook Pro, the TomTom network was not properly established between the GO 2505 and the computer. You may have to add it yourself:

Pull down the Apple Menu to System Preferences...

Click on the Network under Internet & Wireless

If you see the TomTom showing up in the left hand pane you need to delete it and recreate it, highlight it and hit the minus (-) symbol at the bottom left to delete it and Apply.

To create the TomTom service, hit the (+) symbol at the bottom left, select the TomTom Interface and Create, then Apply. (Note: The TomTom device needs to be on and plugged into the computer for TomTom to be a selectable Interface)

MyTomTom should now connect and stop asking for the admin password.

The solution above works like a charm. It has now stopped asking for the administrator password and I was able to properly update the software on my tomtom.

Thanks!

Nice one m8 works like a charm. and new finally in the menubar is says "connected" up untill now it would always say "connecting......" Also this is the first time i have ever seen my tomtom 1000 actually being updated..about B*&%@y time too

Glad it is working for you. Must give credit to "jdstrung" for pointing me to the solution.

Unfortunately, my TomTom GO 2505 will not transfer with either my MacBook Pro or iMac. It connects with the MyTomTom app, which downloaded the updates just fine, but the GO never transfers the updates from MyTomTom. The GO flashes the message "Checking for updates... Keep your device connected " for several minutes then nothing. TomTom support asked me to try a PC, as they acknowledged known issues with MyTomTom and MacBooks. If the PC does not work, then they will replace the GO. Hope to try the PC in the next few days.

Last edited:
It connects with the MyTomTom app, which downloaded the updates just fine, but the GO never transfers the updates from MyTomTom. The GO flashes the message "Checking for updates... Keep your device connected " for several minutes then nothing.

The only other things we saw that help any with MyTomtom are:
1) clearing the cache in the MyTomtom settings
2) go to /users/[username]/library/applicationsupport, and delete any thing that looks like a Tomtom folder
3) uninstalling and reinstalling MyTomtom

Thanks mvl for the ideas, unfortunately they did not solve the problem.

Yesterday I tried to update via a PC (Windows 7) as TT Support asked. The results were the same as on the MacBook Pro, that is a connection but no downloads to the 2505 from the PC even though MyTomTom downloaded an update.

Today TT support tells me that due to the issues with the map update, I will not be able to download anything from the MyTomTom app until it is resolved. That is the App update (10.110) requires the new Map (86*). I should ignore MyTomTom for now. Sounds like bull to me.

In any case, the 2505 does get me around. I guess I will wait until the new map is released before I continue my "discussion" with TT Support.

Tomtom support just responded with the following to a customer in another forum.

The application version 10.110 for GO 1005 devices is no longer available for download and installation

However there will be a new release very soon with all the improvements that are mentioned on the website. The application version 10.110 will be released in a phased manner.
If this is true (beware that Tomtom support responses are frequently incorrect), then the same may be occurring with the GO2505 as it is essentially the same hardware without the LIVE modem.

A miracle has occurred! My 2505 TM installed all Nav and Map updates today.

Why?

One answer, and I am skeptical of this because I have tried to update my 2505 TM many times under Window 7, is the repair of file permissions I did on my MacBook Pro. After an Apple Software Update to Xcode, I used the Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions. It repaired a file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBEthernetHost from -rwxr-xr-x to -rw-r--r--
When I saw this repair, since USB Ethernet is used by the 2505 and MyTomTom, I decided to try an install again after restarting MyTomTom. And it worked.
I repair my disk permission at least once a week. Why it found and repaired this file today, I don't know. Maybe this post will help another Apple user.

Had the same problem today when installing MyTomTom on a iMac. Like my MacBook Pro, the TomTom network was not properly established between the GO 2505 and the computer. You may have to add it yourself:

Pull down the Apple Menu to System Preferences...

Click on the Network under Internet & Wireless

If you see the TomTom showing up in the left hand pane you need to delete it and recreate it, highlight it and hit the minus (-) symbol at the bottom left to delete it and Apply.

To create the TomTom service, hit the (+) symbol at the bottom left, select the TomTom Interface and Create, then Apply. (Note: The TomTom device needs to be on and plugged into the computer for TomTom to be a selectable Interface)

MyTomTom should now connect and stop asking for the admin password.
Excellent! Spent many fruitless evenings on this problem, but your proposed solution worked first time. Many thnaks to you and "jdstrung".

A miracle has occurred! My 2505 TM installed all Nav and Map updates today.

Why?

One answer, and I am skeptical of this because I have tried to update my 2505 TM many times under Window 7, is the repair of file permissions I did on my MacBook Pro. After an Apple Software Update to Xcode, I used the Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions. It repaired a file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBEthernetHost from -rwxr-xr-x to -rw-r--r--
When I saw this repair, since USB Ethernet is used by the 2505 and MyTomTom, I decided to try an install again after restarting MyTomTom. And it worked.
I repair my disk permission at least once a week. Why it found and repaired this file today, I don't know. Maybe this post will help another Apple user.

Thank you SO very much! I plugged my GO 2505 in tonight and it connected right away and downloaded the updates but then it wouldn't install. I disconnected and reconnected and it wouldn't reconnect. I happened upon your post and fixed the permissions then deleted and added back the TomTom in Network and it's installing now! I was getting ready to throw it out the window. Thanks again!

I have just updated from go1000 to go2050.I think i need to change from My tom tom to TomTom Home to run. How do I uninstall my tomtom on my mac. I have downloaded tomtom Home but can't seem to remove my tom tom which is it is still connecting to.

No, the 2050 requires MyTomTom, not Home.

Make sure you log in with a different email address than the one used with your earlier unit. doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper (e-mail address removed) format.

Thanks I have done that but it is still showing the go1000 ,does this matter.

It doesn't matter.

If you have several devices that all need to connect to MyTomTom, it just seems to remember the last one you had plugged in.
When you plug in another one, it should recognise it (showing you a picture of it in the top right corner), but it doesn't automatically log you in like you could set Home to do. You have to log in with the correct user name for whichever unit is plugged in, every time.

Ask a Question