My Tomtom's died in a very weird way! HELP!

I drive a truck doing multidrop deliveries so a sat-nav is a must. I recently got a new Tomtom One (3rd Edition) to replace an old Medion one I had. I was loving using it, it does so much more than my old one. It is perfect for my job. That is, until today when it decided to die on me right after my first drop :eek:

The unit had been on. Arrived at destination. Made the drop and jumped back into the cab. The screen was now white. No map, no symbols, nothing. Just a white screen. The power button didn't do anything so I pressed the reset with the end of a pen. That started it up. I got the tomtom start screen and the tomtom sound. The disc loading bar ran across the bottom of the screen. It then displayed the tomtom start screen again, it then flicks to a very slightly brighter display. That's all that it does. The only way to power it off is with the reset button.

When I connect it to my PC I can use the unit no problem at all. All my favorites are there. I can plan a route. Everything works on the monitor, but the unit just displays the tomtom screen.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhh!! Any ideas? Please ;)

When I connect it to my PC I can use the unit no problem at all. All my favorites are there. I can plan a route. Everything works on the monitor, but the unit just displays the tomtom screen.

Keep this in mind....when the unit is connected to your PC....the TomTom HOME software is functioning as an " emulator ".

I drive a truck doing multidrop deliveries so a sat-nav is a must. I recently got a new Tomtom One (3rd Edition) to replace an old Medion one I had. I was loving using it, it does so much more than my old one. It is perfect for my job. That is, until today when it decided to die on me right after my first drop :eek:

The unit had been on. Arrived at destination. Made the drop and jumped back into the cab. The screen was now white. No map, no symbols, nothing. Just a white screen. The power button didn't do anything so I pressed the reset with the end of a pen. That started it up. I got the tomtom start screen and the tomtom sound. The disc loading bar ran across the bottom of the screen. It then displayed the tomtom start screen again, it then flicks to a very slightly brighter display. That's all that it does. The only way to power it off is with the reset button.

Might I suggest that while you have the unit connected to the PC that you run a scandisk on it?

1) Using Windows explorer, browse your TomTom
2) RIGHT click on the drive for your TomTom.....a menu pops up
3) Click on PROPERTIES
4) Click on the TOOLS tab at the top
5) Under the Error-checking section click CHECK NOW
6) Put a checkmark inside the box next to BOTH the "Automatically fix file system errors" and the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"
7) Click START

That may find issues with the files and fix them.

If not, follow dhn's line of thinking and simply copy all files from your backup (hopefully you have one) directly onto your TomTom.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your replies so far. I have tried the ScanDisk thing. I also tried defragging it (just in case it gave it a kick in the pants). But neither of them did any good. I also tried restoring from the back up I made with TomTomHOME.

None of this has changed anything. HELP! :eek:

Thanks for your replies so far. I have tried the ScanDisk thing. I also tried defragging it (just in case it gave it a kick in the pants). But neither of them did any good. I also tried restoring from the back up I made with TomTomHOME.

None of this has changed anything. HELP! :eek:

Instead of a restore using TomTom Home, perhaps you can try a simple copy using Windows Explorer.

The backup files from TomTom Home are typically found here:
C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\GO\Backup01 (for the ONE series, in later versions of home, the "GO" folder is replced by "ONE")

If a direct copy doesn't work. Then I might suggest the following:
1) Using Windows Explorer, copy all the files from your TomTom to your PC (so you have backup....be sure to put it in a folder you'll remember, in case you ever need these original files)]
2) Once you've made this backup, FORMAT the TomTom ONE using FAT16 file system.....do this by RIGHT clicking on the Tomtom drive and a menu pops up...you can select format from the menu and choose FAT16 as the file system
3) Once formatted, copy the backup from tomtom HOME (folder location above) to your TomTom.

If that doesn't work, I have some more ideas....

I would think you could have Home delete the application, then run clear-flash for the heck of it.

Then reconnect to Home and let it reload the application. It may do this more then once (for different application versions insequence., so after every application install - if it boots up OK, have Home copy if back to your computer. Then - if a latter update does not work, you can delete it again and reload the earlier saved application.

If that does not clear it out - you may very well have a defective unit.

If it now starts up OK, but there issues with the map - you could delete the map folder and copy and pase the saved on right back - and then reboot.

When I did a chkdisk on my map that was becoming corrupted, it found a ton of corrupted and lost fragments. Once chkdisk was done, the map was completely destroyed to the point where my old ONE XL could no longer recognize that there was even a map present. A reinstall of everything of the device fixed everything.

This is the 3rd time I've had to retype this post because of "page cannot be displayed" errors. This time I copied it to clipboard and see if it goes through.

I've done pretty much everything that's been suggested above (thank you all so much for your helpful suggestions). I have done them in a multitude of different sequences. The last thing I tried was to format the TomTom as a FAT16 drive, then moved my PC stored backup onto the unit, then from TomTom HOME I reinstalled the app from the 'Items on my Computer' screen.

It brought up a message saying a new app had been installed. Unplug and replug the unit into the PC. Happy days thinks I. But..... the unit is now doing exactly what it was doing at the start!! :eek: Just making the drum noise, then the 'loading' type screen, then it's freezing on the TomTom start screen!!

To say I am getting exasperated is an understatement, this TomTom is less than a month old, and as it was a gift it has been really well cared for (living in a hard travel case when not on the screen for example). To be honest I am wondering how it will be if I manage to finally get it to work. Will I be constantly waiting for the thing to crash and burn again?

I am completely losing faith in it, and in TomTom as a company. I know this is a bit cheeky to ask here, but can anyone recommend a company that makes a sturdy sat-nav? I have started to look at the Garmin stuff - I still want to get this TomTom sorted out... it's a matter of pride now :D

You've probably done this a million times but .... do another pin reset. Hold it for about 10 seconds.

:( Once more for luck.... still no joy :(

Since it is new and it really sounds like something may have actually gone wrong in hardware...I would try calling TomTom. Tell them everything you've tried and they might just surprise you.

Their PHONE support is exceptional and they may have other suggestion and may even replace your unit.

I have had some luck pressing the power button 3 times in rapped succession just before the unit boots up.

Ask a Question