My tomtom one freezes!

So after starting up, it goes to the setup screen - where I pick my time zone and such, and as soon as I get to the screen to select a voice, it freezes as soon as I select any voice, and it proceeds to restart itself. I've uninstalled, and reinstalled the tomtom home application and updated my device, and it still continues to do this. I've looked at other forums and I just can't find any help!

Connect the device to your computer and using Windows Explorer open the drive letter associated with your TomTom, locate the map folder which will be named after your country such as North America or UK&ROI etc, open this and find the file "MapSettings.cfg" delete this file. Use the disconnect USB device icon which you will will find in the lower right corner of your PC screen then let the device boot up, is it still messing you around or is it now working?
The settings you are having trouble with are stored in the MapSettings.cfg file, if this has got messed up the device can throw a fault and refuse to boot up, by deleting the file the device will create a new one in the correct format, you will lose any POI warning settings, Home location etc but these are easy to re-enter, you won't lose the actual POI data on the device - Mike

Hi
I have a similar problem in that the TT GO 720 is not visible to both Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64 Ulitmate PC. It used to work fine previously but appears to have had a corruption issue on device.

I have tried to restore from previous backup however TT720 refuses to offer the connect to PC menu.

I cannot see the internal memory on explorer either. I have followed the directions on TT website re format internal memory, performed pin resets on numerous occassions and to no avail.

I have establised that if I restore the backup to a SDRAM card - thru explorer, then the unit works but I need it to work from the internal memory.

TT720 refuses to connect to PC.

Any ideas on how to reset the internal memory so that I can do a manual restore via Explorer.

Cheers
:mad:

Well, you could try the Clear Flash tool found here.. run it 3 times with the application on the card so that you can connect to the computer.

That being said, if indeed the unit CAN connect with the app on the card, then just put everything on the sdhc card and run your unit that way. I know some whose internal memory died on a 720 and their unit functions quite well running from a sdhc card.

Just ensure it's a quality sdhc card, the faster the speed (class 4 minimum), the better.

Thx

Atleast I am now able to connect to the PC Win 7 x64.

I can see the internal drive, however I am unable to format it.

I have run the clear flash at least 4 times.

Is there a FDISK stylle tool that allows a hard format of the internal memory?

Are there any TT Techie Tools that may help?

Regards
:eek:

Thx for the suggestion but I cant get it to work.

Basically, cant run anything on the Internal Memory other than to rename it to "INTERNAL" and to be able to communcate to it.

CHKDSK cannot be run on this memory either.

Properties indicates:
SPACE 0 (Zero)
FileSize 0 (zero)

Windows (at least XP) partitions removable devices as it formats, so its probably physical damage on the internal flash drive. Also, others have posted that the Tomtom flash controller "shrinks" the visible drive capacity as the flash memory wears out.

Did you upgrade to app 8.351 on the sd card? That updates the USB drivers on the Tomtom to the latest available. If you still can't format after app 8.351, I suspect the internal memory is bad. You'd have to warranty exchange the device, or if out-of-warranty just live with usig an SD.

Ask a Question